Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Carbide Finish

smokshwn

Has anyone here had experience with tungsten carbide finishes on a gun? TC is used extensively in the aerospace industry, especially in high rpm parts of the compressor of jet engines. After researching a little there is no doubt of its durability. I have talked to a smith who claims to have had good luck with it, but as always it is nice to get opinions/experiences from those who aren't shuckin and jivin for my dineros. TIA Craig

Just saw a gun by Deric with Millennium Custom 2 that was done in Black Tungsten Carbide or Titanium nitride that was sweet, it had a nice mat finish to cut down glare.

I am a fan of hardchrome due to its wear resistance and lubricity but I think my next gun will be gray or black.

My partner in crime has a "Gold" gun that has been TiN coated. He had the slide and frame coated and the coating is durable. It does not resist corrosion any better than "blueing" and needs to stay oiled to prevent rust. You should also polish any areas that will contact other parts as the finished product will be very hard and sharp. It will eat the barrel hood over time.

Leo