Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bridgeport feed nut replacement

shooterbenedetto

Was working on the table when the crossfeed just suddenly spun around freeley after crancking the crossfeed handle.

I guess the leadnut came out or split in 2pc? Anyways, time to replace this and refurbish the table movement!

Just wanted to check out here if anyone had replaced the feed nut brass for(X and Y) longtitude

and crossfeed on a bridgeport. I have the J head and the backlash when I got it is just way too much movement

on the table.Well, the nut finally gave in. I have read on the internet and ebay that there are original 1pc feed nut or the

2pc feed nut/ Can someone elaborate about the 2pc feed nut? Which one is better and if any modification?

So far I have used my small dolly I bought from Harbor Freight to place the handle crank on it so that it doesnt spin and I took the 19mm

wrench to loosen the nut to take apart crossfeed handle. I also took 2 steel ammo box, laid it flat and place it under the dolly so that it can reach

the handle on the left side of the table. After taking everthing apart, you must take off the halfmoon key so that the lead screw

of the table can come out from the right side. I have pushed the table to the left as this will clear the dogbone casting where the brass

leadscrews must be replaced. The gib needs to be moved allthe way to the front to get it out. Now time to clean and grease everything!

Many thanks.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Not sure on the 2 piece nut. I replaced my lead screw with ball screw. My lead screw was very worn, so a new nut woulnt help much on the backlash and to replace the lead screw was $$$. So I looked at a ballscrew retro kit it was about the same $$$ as replacing 2 nuts and a leadscrew. I havent been happier with the ballscrew. I can climb mill ,it is alot smoother. It just makes it nicer. Coleman