Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shot on autopilot today

digby7

had a interesting experience at this weekends match and not entirely sure what to make of it.

I don't actually remember much about shooting it. I noticed this after the first stage where i couldn't really remember where the dot was or what exactly I did. I remember a few very specific things - hitting a no-shoot, wondering why the steel was taking so long to fall, registering 3 hits on steel and not waiting around for it to fall, that I should have not let another squad mate influence my plan on one stage and thats literally all I remember about shooting those 5 stages.

Went into the stages with a plan but still pretty much shot everything as I saw it. In the past I would either over-analyze things or just have a brain fart and forget to shoot something or skip a reload or whatever… this was much different. movement and hits were generally good and i ended the stages in a rush on unload and show clear.

just curious on if others have experienced this and what exactly it means. The best that I can interpret it is that I essentially went on auto-pilot and somehow still managed to shoot good stages.

came in 7th overall out of 67, 4th in open and 2nd overall for the classifier - surrounded above and below by master level shooters. I'm currently unclassified in open, B in Singlestack

I've done it before but never on a whole match. I can't really control it at this point, but like you said, sometimes I'll go through a stage and finish and not remember thinking on the stage at all. It was all reaction. Buzzer goes off, draw, see a target and start shooting and moving until nothings left. Usually I have a plan that I've walked through a few times and execute it.

What I find interesting lately is I've been recording my shooting and have been remembering my shooting, but comparing the two, I'll remember things moving slower than in the video or happening a little diffrently or even not remembering details of how things went in parts.

video here:

probably the best match I've shot so far regardless of the no-shoot and mike in terms of balancing out speed/accuracy. i'm shooting 9 minor out of a steel gun and I haven't chrono'ed it yet. its a STI steel master and I hope it makes minor power factor.

I love the screen cap youtube got of this of the RO trying to chase after me.

Edited by digby7

Nice shooting, how many does that thing hold? I think I counted 24 shots on stage 5(1st in the video)? Nice hits on the classifier too. I think I only hit A/B, B/B, A/B.

holds 23 in the mag and then a +1 gets me to 24. I shot to what would have been slide lock(if my slide locked back) on the 1st stage which is why i couldn't make up a no-shoot.

no idea how i pulled that off on that classifier.

I was watching saul kirsches 'mastering the mental game' and what I got out of it is that autopilot = shooting with your subconscious which is what you want otherwise your brain gets in the way too much. having had numerous brain melt-downs mid-stage I would have to agree with him.

Nice, that's what my G34 holds with the arredondo base pads.

I've heard that about autopilot before and I can see that's definitly the fastest way to do it. I've only done it a few times though. Sometimes I shoot in a daze, not remembering my plan but just going along and shooting targets as I see them, works ok most of the time. Other times I make a small mistake (hit a noshoot, hard cover) and have to think about my shot, call it, and go back to pick it up. I find I can't call my shots on autopilot. Most of the time I just try to stay on plan as best as possible

• 4 months later...

I had an autopilot moment last night at a fun shoot. Instead of psyching myself up and actively visualizing how I was going to do the stage, I cleared my thoughts and was as relaxed as possible. Then I wound up shooting very well, but I don't remember a thing from the actual course of fire aside from nailing two reloads and watching my sights slide off a target before the shot broke and thinking, "Crap, limited vickers".

Really enlightening experience from someone who has been 100% cerebral when it comes to shooting and life. Now I need to learn to let go more.

I had an autopilot moment last night at a fun shoot. Instead of psyching myself up and actively visualizing how I was going to do the stage, I cleared my thoughts and was as relaxed as possible. Then I wound up shooting very well, but I don't remember a thing from the actual course of fire ...

:D That's where it's at - nice work!