Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me Decide On Optic And Trigger

dart368

Sometimes you need to remove a few thou of the back of the trigger to fit to the safety. I've only ever had to do this once. The main use is to remove a small amount of material off the nose of the disconnector to get it timed correctly. Typically takes a few passes with the sand paper (400 or 800 grit) to get it set just right.

Mick

OP, I have installed multiple JP triggers with nothing more than a few pieces of sandpaper and the edge of my workbench.

I've installed a number of JPs, too, and haven't yet found a need for sandpaper. What have I been missing?

• 4 weeks later...

I have never tried the AR gold so I don't know how they are. I have heard bad things about the timney and RRA match triggers. I have worn out a Knight Armament trigger and two Williams trigger speciality set trigger set ups. Geissele has been very good for me but I won't bad mouth the the AR Gold that I have no trigger time on. I won't bad mouth JP either. They have an excellent feel when setup properly and was the first of the good AR triggers. Which trigger is the best is some what subjective.

Pat

Thats interesting, I was going to suggest a RRA match trigger. I have had mine for some time now and been very pleased with it after 3100 rounds. In fact, I am about to build another AR and install the same trigger.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I went with the Geiselle SD3G and a Vortex Viper which I am going to sell and get a Burris MTAC instead.

Thanks for all the advice.

It is very kind of you to give the update. Would you please expand on why you are replacing the Vortex Viper with the Burris MTAC? I've been looking closely at each scope for my first rifle optic, so any real user feedback is very welcome. Did you get the Viper PST model? What mounting hardware did you select? Will you continue to use that mount for the Burris MTAC?

Thanks in advance for the details.

-- Mike

Just an update, I went with the Geiselle SD3G and a Vortex Viper which I am going to sell and get a Burris MTAC instead.

Thanks for all the advice.

It is very kind of you to give the update. Would you please expand on why you are replacing the Vortex Viper with the Burris MTAC? I've been looking closely at each scope for my first rifle optic, so any real user feedback is very welcome. Did you get the Viper PST model? What mounting hardware did you select? Will you continue to use that mount for the Burris MTAC?

Thanks in advance for the details.

-- Mike

Hey Mike,

Yes, I did have the viper mounted. I used a American Defense Recon mount. I heard a lot of good things about them. I will use the same mount for the MTAC as well. I tried to attach a pic of it. Hopefully it shows up.

I am planning on using the rifle for 3 gun and I feel the reticle will be faster to use. It appears that the reticle will be easier to pick up to the eye than the viper as well and the dot system on the MTAC seems easier to use than the milrad lines on the viper. The lines on the viper are not very visible and in some shades or backgrounds, it is hard to make them out. The only thing that lights up on the reticle are the outer lines and not the milrad lines which I was dissapointed in. I have heard some stories about the exposed turrets getting turned on their own, putting your shots off sometimes. I have not experienced that myself though.

On the positive, the viper's middle dot is small, making more precise shots easier. It also has the ability to use the mil lines to gauge distances of objects where the size is known which I thought was cool. But again, for me and the type of shooting I am going to be doing, (3 gun, tactical, etc.) I really don't need these features and the MTAC's reticle I feel will suit me better. But then again, the viper as a large following and a lot of people like it. I have heard the glass is much clearer and it is made better, more suitable for tactical applications (Real World).

I should have the two together either monday or tuesday if I am lucky. I am waiting for a money order to come in for my viper and then, I have to send it out to the buyer. Maybe it won't come until tuesday or wednesday so I can have a chance to see both of them side by side. I can give a better update then. In the mean time, keep searching for what you want and keep in mind what you are going to use the optic for. Good luck.

post-17691-0-35778600-1327815156_thumb.j

I have the AD Recon and am VERY happy with it. Also, exposed turrets was part of the reason that I went with the MTAC instead of the Viper. I don't want to have to worry about checking the turrets and see if they got bumped in the middle of a stage.

Edited by Ryan N

On optics mounts, what do people feel about the Nightforce unimount, both models are slightly lower and I notice that when I shoot using irons I naturally tend to fall a bit lower than the sights, so I gotta compensate upwards. So I was considering a lower scope mount (once I get a scope I will probably sell my irons).

The 1.125" model looks real interesting, the lower mount height is also visually appealling, here's one with a 2.5-10x32 Nightforce:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2hoif61.jpg

Edited by Rynnäkökivääri 62

I went with the ADM because it was highly recommended. The Bobro was another one that was recommended and both were supposedly better than the Larue mount or the PEPR mount. Just my two cents though. I have no experience with the Nightforce mount.

I went with the ADM because it was highly recommended. The Bobro was another one that was recommended and both were supposedly better than the Larue mount or the PEPR mount. Just my two cents though. I have no experience with the Nightforce mount.

I went with the AD over the Larue because there is more surface area on the quick release that contacts the AR upper. That being said, I feel that the Larue is a fantastic mount too.

I started with the PERP, but I sent it back because it was esthetically unpleasing to me. I do however feel that the PERP is a solid mount and an excellent bang for your buck.

Edited by Ryan N

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't get a chance to do a comparison side by side as I ended up selling the Vortex before the Burris arrived.

As I stated before, I liked the Vortex stadia lines in that you could do some distance calculations with it and it seemed quite robust in nature. That along with Vortex's warranty makes it an awesome buy.

In looking at the MTAC and not having shot with it yet, I find the reticle to be easier to use and not as cluttered. The BDC seems much easier to use as well but the dots are pretty small and like the Vortex, they can be lost sometimes in certain backgrounds.

Overall, I think the MTAC will be more suitable for 3 gun matches than the Viper PST and it as a lot of great feedback from others who use it. I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for all the input.

Well, I didn't get a chance to do a comparison side by side as I ended up selling the Vortex before the Burris arrived.

As I stated before, I liked the Vortex stadia lines in that you could do some distance calculations with it and it seemed quite robust in nature. That along with Vortex's warranty makes it an awesome buy.

In looking at the MTAC and not having shot with it yet, I find the reticle to be easier to use and not as cluttered. The BDC seems much easier to use as well but the dots are pretty small and like the Vortex, they can be lost sometimes in certain backgrounds.

Overall, I think the MTAC will be more suitable for 3 gun matches than the Viper PST and it as a lot of great feedback from others who use it. I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for all the input.

I have used my MTAC in a match for the first time last month. We had targets ranging from close up to 125 yards. I won the 125 yard stage. I am happy with the MTAC. Also, as others have stated, I didn't even turn on the illumination.