Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping Frames

outerlimits

ok-unless i mis-read everything, if all i wanted to ship was a slide and a frame, no other parts, then it ain't considered a handgun...hence, overnight ain't required.

Correct, BUT only with UPS. FEDX looks at it differently.

From the UPS web site (See the link above)

(Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

From the UPS web site (See the link above)

(Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

You can't just cut & paste one little part out of the entire UPS definition for shipping. UPS addresses HANDGUNS separately.

That quote is from the UPS page titled "Shipping Firearms." Here are some more cherry picked quotes from that page.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms). <li>UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

What am I missing? Where is the page that says UPS DOESN'T consider a frame a firearm? Show me the link where a Handgun is defined differently than a firearm.

I have found that the franchised UPS stores are not at all consistent in application of policy. Some of them have no issue with accepting firearms shipments and others state that firearms must be shipped from a UPS terminal which I believe is correct. I have also had USPS employees say all sorts of incorrect things not knowing what the correct policy is. Some of the Post Offices deal with very few firearms shipments and their regulations book is about 8 inches thick. When it comes to firearms I guess it's best to err on the safe side.