Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BVAC ammo

They are local to me. I use their 55 and 69 grain .223 with good results in my rifle. Unfortunately my M&P 9 Pro likes other 9mm ammunition better. You may want to try it out before ordering 1000 rounds. On the other hand, for that price you could use it for practice if you find your gun likes something else better.

Any opinions about BVAC ammo. I can get 1000 rounds of 9mm 115g FMJ for 179 from cheaper than dirt. I just paid 90 for 300 rss of PMC. Will it be ok for USPSA events.

I have used their .45 ACP BVAC 230 Grain Full Metal Jacket 837 fps and I liked it a lot. I bought it when they had it on sale for $18 (may have been less) per box. I only got it because it was HIGHLY reccomended on some of the other boards I am on. It was good solid shooting rounds. I have heard a few but not many complaints that some guns don't like it but it cycled fine in a PT145, Sig P250, Marlin Camp 45, and my trusty RIA Super Compact. This is actually what I copied when I started reloading my 230 grains from boolitheads. 6.8 grains of Unique and I was right at 900 fps...just about the limit. I don't know what powder BVAC uses but the impulse was almost identical. The BVAC were 880-ish fps. Whatever they use it is MUCH cleaner than Unique (course most powders are).

YMMV..but this seems to be good solid ammo...

Undrpsi

• 8 months later...

I bought 1,000 rounds and had no problems with it. So I bought 2,000 more. Apparently I got a bad batch because I had numerous bad jams in my Glock 17 and PF-9 that were ammo related (20+). I think the bullets were not seated to the correct depth so when being chambered the brass case would ride up between the copper jacket and lead core which would jam the bullet solid into the chamber and lock up the slide. The only way to get these bullets out since the gun was not fully in battery was to hammer the slide with a piece of wood. I'm fine with crappy ammo stovepiping, or occasionally short stroking the slide. But when it's locking the gun up to the point where it's dangerous I'll pass on the small cost savings.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually this is a good topic. I am having some trouble with BVAC and their customer service at the moment and was not sure where to post this. I ordered a 500ct box of 180gr JHP for 40 S&W. I have ordered this previously and it has worked well for me for range and local match stuff.

What I received was 180gr plated HP (looks like Xtreme bullets). My issue is I paid extra for JHP but was sold plated. I have submitted the question to BVAC customer service with no response once I sent in the complaint form. I have emailed and posted on their FB page with no response. Has anyone else had this issue with them?

I can shoot the plated ammo but dang it, I paid for jacketed.

I plan to call them soon but wanted to see if anyone here has had similar experiences and has any suggestions.

• 2 months later...

I add my 2 cents- I've been using BVAC 180gr .40 for the last year in the 1000 rd bulk box from Cheaper Than Dirt. BTW it is cheaper to order 6 boxes at a time (not 7, not 5) because of the way their shipping pricing works. I've shot about 14,000 rounds of the stuff to date. In this period of time I have had 3 type I malfunctions, no type II or type III malfunctions at this writing. I have had no experience with their customer service since I have not had the need. Hope this helps.