Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooters.com/allvertical going out of business

Shooter Grrl

Egads I am so frustrated I could just scream.  Have you tried to go to shooting pages recently?  They're gone!!!!  Those weenies at allvertical did a damn good job of marketing to the shooting community and then upped and pulled the plug.  

D*MN them to H*LL.

I doun't think Phil Reed's death was the reason for AllVertical folding.  All Vertical had some serious venture capital (Their father of their VC company's president was personally appointed to be the ambassador to Ireland by GWB so we're not talking about lightweight unsophisticated investors here), and from what I can understand a business decision was made to pull the plug rather than continue to the operation.

While I was inconvenienced by the shutdown, I admire some aspects of how they handled things:

- They kept things running for over a month after announcing a shutdown.  There was zero chance of any financial return on the expenses incurred with this continued operation.

- The refunded pre-paid hosting fees which were not earned.  One company I know of received a refund of over $1100.

Where they did not do an excellent job was "notification".  Depending on your relationship with the firm you either got a phone call, email, or had to learn of this through the rumor mill or from one of the various solicitors trying to get the hosting business.