Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crimping die ?

Gadgetech

I followed the instructions on adjusting the depth of the die in the 4th station and when doing so it doesn't seem to crimp the case tight enough. In other words it seems to be too much bell after crimping. I think I turned an additional 3-4 full turns after the case touched the crimping die. I have double checked the die used to bell the case and it's only belling about 10 thousandths which should be well w/i specs. I'm curious what could be off. This is new Federal brass .45 ACP. I'm just setting up my first Dillon 550B and I'm new to reloading. Thank you!

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

I followed the instructions on adjusting the depth of the die in the 4th station and when doing so it doesn't seem to crimp the case tight enough. In other words it seems to be too much bell after crimping. I think I turned an additional 3-4 full turns after the case touched the crimping die. I have double checked the die used to bell the case and it's only belling about 10 thousandths which should be well w/i specs. I'm curious what could be off. This is new Federal brass .45 ACP. I'm just setting up my first Dillon 550B and I'm new to reloading. Thank you!

Edited by Kevin Sanders

I'm not sure about your specific situation but it may be that the crimp die just needs to be a little lower. since it's a taper, you should be able to put it down far enough that it will crimp TOO much.

So you probably just need to turn it down until you like the diameter of the case mouth.

AD

Visual patience :roflol:

From the 550 manual:

Station Four

The crimping operation is performed at this station.

Insert the crimp die and place an empty case in Station

Four. Raise the platform and screw the crimping die down

until it touches the rim of the case. Now lower the platform

and screw the die down an additional one-quarter of a turn.

Place a round in Station Four with a seated bullet and cycle

the operating handle.

You will need to refer to a loading manual to get proper

crimp dimensions for the caliber you are loading. A dial

caliper is required to take accurate measurements from your

crimped round.

If more crimp is needed, screw the crimp die down in

small increments until you get the desired crimp, now

tighten the lock ring.

Don't put a belled case in, put an empty sized case in. The belled case is hitting the die way to early.

Edited by Kevin Sanders

AD

Visual patience :roflol:

wacko.gif This exchange is giving me fits.

Thanks Sandman, I believe that's exactly what I did wrong is put the belled case back in. I have a Micrometer and I take it the diameter of the case should be slightly larger with the bullet in than without a bullet?

After I was able to double check my process to set the die based on what Sandman suggested, I got the die properly set. As he indicated, I was using an already belled case. :unsure:

Having the case gauge is a handy device for determining the bullet/case will fit the barrel.

Thanks everyone for the very timely answers to my question.