Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 124 gr CMJ

Dacsoft

I normally load Montana Gold 124 gr CMJ Round Nose bullets in 9mm. I was just given a bunch of Montana Gold 147 gr CMJ. The person who gave them to me says they are Round Nose, but while they look similar, the end is flat.

Are these considered round nose of flat when trying to select the seating stem (Dillon press)? What would be a good starting OAL? I did a search but don't seem to find any data for these specific bullets.

thanks for the help.

I have found the round side of the seating stem works best for these bullets.

What powder are you using?

Load them to the same oal and make sure to do a quick barrel chamber drop test. Drop the charge accordingly and you should be good.

Look in the reloading section and there you will find tons of recipes for the bullet and several powders.

When I was loading these I dropped from 4.2 Tite group with 124's to 3.8 Titegroup for 147's but YMMV.

Edit to add 1.14 ran in my M&P and Glock 34.

Edited by Kevin Sanders

147gn Montana Gold CMJ loaded to 1.100" for G34 and a C75B. 3.3gn of TiteGroup makes Minor out of both guns with a good margin. 134PF and 130PF, respectively, as I recall but it's been a while since I've shot Production and had to chrono. Very nice soft push type recoil. It could be annoyingly slow though, if you want a fast cycling slide.

3.3gn feels hot being shot out of my Stock 2. I feel that I can go down to 3.0gn, but I'll have to work up some loads and breakout the chrono.