Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to make 11 round .45 Mags

Nealio

I wanna get a base pad so I can load my .45 mags to 11 (10+1 after I load my gun), plus I would like the pad to stick down enough to allow me to seat the mag easily.

My guess would be to run the H-620, since its the biggest "small" basepad. Does anyone run any of the H-620 pads with a .45?

I would like to know:

1. How far that sticks out of the Henning magwell

2. How many .45 rounds will fit in there

3. If you used extra power springs or used stock springs

Thanks!

- Nealio

I have the 520's and they seat flush with the opening of the magwell. If you have a jam, there is nothing to grab outside to get the mag pulled out, you'll have to push down through the ejection port. I once thought of attaching something like those 3M tabs for marking books and documents as an oh-sh*t handle, but never got around to it. (It sure would have helped out this weekend though when I had 2 double feed jams in a 32 round high hit factor all steel stage.)

Using 11 coil Grams springs, I can only fit 10 .45 ACP, but as I've mentioned before, I'm a wimp when it comes to getting rounds into a mag. Using an Uplula and body weight, I ended up denting the top cartridge, but got the 11th one in. Unfortunately, the slide couldn't strip the bullet out of the magazine and into the chamber. I didn't want to cut coils off the springs because I use them primarily for .40, and I was just forced to use .45 for a little while because I ran out of .40 and my order was delayed.

Why do I persist on using the 520s for L10 even when longer H141 basepads are an option for my division? I've got a short torso, and medium waist (although the growing spare tire is changing that). The longer basepads interfere with each other when I've got 4 on my waist. The 520s give each one enough clearance so that grabbing one doesn't knock out the others.

If you want to shoot L10 with the "short" basepads, I recommend having 5 magazines and just having one of them as a barney mag. If you are going for your 5th mag on a 32 round stage, chances are that having only 9 bullets in that mag will not make a huge difference. Of course, I go around with 6 mags. The 6th mag is in the back pocket and used as my barney mag.

I'm a big guy (6'3", 265lbs) so I have lots of room for mags, and I run my pouches straight up. I would rather have the longer mags so I can seat them better and/or pull them out if needed..

Considering that info, would you recommend the H-620 then?

Henning has a pretty good return policy. It's how I got my 520's when I originally ordered 500's and discovered the 500's don't work too well with the magwell. I'd go with the 620's. I suspect they will hang out below the magwell enough to give you more than enough to seat them, as well as some purchase to pull them out in case of a jam. For $5 more, though, you could go with the H141 and not even worry about it.

Henning has a pretty good return policy. It's how I got my 520's when I originally ordered 500's and discovered the 500's don't work too well with the magwell. I'd go with the 620's. I suspect they will hang out below the magwell enough to give you more than enough to seat them, as well as some purchase to pull them out in case of a jam. For $5 more, though, you could go with the H141 and not even worry about it.

If the mag length is not important, I would agree and go for the H141. My .45 mags are setup with the H141's and I am running 13 in the mag and there is plenty of room past the magwell!!

Well I threw my H-141's on my .45 mags tonight and I couldn't get them to feed if I put more than 10 in there. So I guess I will just use a "barney" mag instead if starting with 11 in the mag.

The only problem with using the H-141 extensions is that I would need to buy longer springs, so the cost really adds up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I threw my H-141's on my .45 mags tonight and I couldn't get them to feed if I put more than 10 in there. So I guess I will just use a "barney" mag instead if starting with 11 in the mag.

The only problem with using the H-141 extensions is that I would need to buy longer springs, so the cost really adds up.

What followers and springs are you using and how many coils??? Also do your mags have the dimples at the bottom of the mags??

Edited by vous

What followers and springs are you using and how many coils??? Also do your mags have the dimples at the bottom of the mags??

These are the Tanfoglio made mags. They lack support on the front of the round after 10 rounds just like all the other Tanfoglio made mags.

I tried stock followers with a Grams 11 coil spring, stock follower with an 11 coil Wolff spring, and a Grams followers with 11 coil spring.

I wish I had bought the Mec Gar mags. I'm trying to get these exchanged with some good mags from EAA.

Edited by Nealio

These are the Tanfoglio made mags. They lack support on the front of the round after 10 rounds just like all the other Tanfoglio made mags.

I tried stock followers with a Grams 11 coil spring, stock follower with an 11 coil Wolff spring, and a Grams followers with 11 coil spring.

I wish I had bought the Mec Gar mags. I'm trying to get these exchanged with some good mags from EAA.

Mine are Mec Gar mags but have had them for many years so not sure if they are the same as the factory ones you have. Mine had dimples at the bottom which I had milled out and the used the factory follower with the legs trimmed and the spring that came with the mag. Once I had trimmed the follower legs and added the extended base pad, I get 13 rnds and no feed problems or jams!!!

I have also tried using the factory aluminium basepad that came with my .40S&W Limited and by just changing the base pad can get 11 rnds and again no issues.

Maybe I just got lucky with my set up!! Hope you are successful getting replacements from EAA, the .45 is a great pistol and alot of fun!!

I talked to EAA today and they said as soon as they get the new .45 mags I can send mine in and get the new style. Those don't have dimples, so hopefully I can run my big base pads with the Grams followers.

I talked to EAA today and they said as soon as they get the new .45 mags I can send mine in and get the new style. Those don't have dimples, so hopefully I can run my big base pads with the Grams followers.

That's good news, hopefully that will sort out the issue and give you the extra rounds!!

I tried the Grams followers but were a no go as I found they would pop out of the top of the magazine if it was empty and got dropped. How did you get over this or was this never an issue in your mags?? I am presuming you are just using the standard Grams followers.

Yesterday I worked on the new Mec-Gar 45 magazines with our H-141 pads and was able to fit 12 + 1 rounds of 45 ACP !

The Mec-Gar follower needs to be rounded slightly on top/bottom so that it will slide into the basepad properly. I also had to file a chamfer on the pad to make the follower slide into the pad. The follower is rather big and has hard edges that will stop on the pad or get stuck inside the pad if it's not rounded to slide in.

BUT, if you work on it a little bit, the Mec-Gar 45 mag with our H-141 pad will give you 12 rounds.

I'll modifying mags and make them available through my site.

Yesterday I worked on the new Mec-Gar 45 magazines with our H-141 pads and was able to fit 12 + 1 rounds of 45 ACP !

The Mec-Gar follower needs to be rounded slightly on top/bottom so that it will slide into the basepad properly. I also had to file a chamfer on the pad to make the follower slide into the pad. The follower is rather big and has hard edges that will stop on the pad or get stuck inside the pad if it's not rounded to slide in.

BUT, if you work on it a little bit, the Mec-Gar 45 mag with our H-141 pad will give you 12 rounds.

I'll modifying mags and make them available through my site.

Are you getting your mags from EAA, Tanfoglio, or Mec-Gar?