Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new build

ken hebert

Been thinking for a while now that I'd like a 7mm WSM. I've got some parts on hand I've accumulated over the past years and I'd like to put them to use.

* Manners T2A stock, cut for Rem 700 SA as well as for a Badger bottom metal detachable mag

* Badger bottom metal detach mag system

* Rem 700 SA complete receiver for the .243/.260/.308 bolt face

My question is, can I end up with what I want, functionally, with what I have to start with. My rifle builder tells me he can open up the bolt face and install a new extractor to work with the dimensions of the 7mm. I'm undecided about this one. Other main question is are there mags available that work with the 7mm WSM and feed into the Badger bottom metal kit?

Ken,

I'd be inclined to get a new bolt in the proper face size from Pacific Tool and Gage. It probably won't cost much more than reworking the Remington bolt. Any mags I've seen that were for magnums, were long action. It should be possible to modify a mag to work with the short mag. I'd buy one of the copies to play with first.

Ken,

Try a company called Accuracy Systems. They make rifles in the WSM calibers, as well as the RSUM calibers. They build both bolt guns and magnums on AR-10 type platforms. They offer barrels, bottom metal, receivers or will build on you existing platform. I have shot several of their rifles and plan to get them to rework my DPMS LR308 into a 6.5 X47 Lapua.

• 3 weeks later...

We just finished up a 7wsm on one of our short actions and yes it can be done and it works well. Both the Alpha mags and Accurate Mags for the AI-style DBMs like your Badger will work as long as they don't have the spacer plate in the front of the mag. I think your parts will be fine, so either have the bolt face opened up or get a new bolt from PTG. Another thing to make sure you do if you're going to run the longer OALs, is to relieve the feed area on the receiver.