Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Gold Custom Spare Barrel Compensator Installation

Whoops!

Hi, the witness gold custom comes with two barrels. One is full v-12 ported and compensated. The other has a compensator blank with only one slot cut in it.

Does anyone know how the factory cone comp is installed on the barrel? One gunsmith I showed it to guessed silver solder and said that as a result he would not be willing to remove it, this doesn't quite mesh with me. I think it must be possible to safely melt the solder from the barrel IF it is even silver soldered.

Also, does anyone know if the practically worthless blank comp can be removed and replaced with a cone setup EGW 8 port compensator and fitted to the Gold Custom gun.

If compensator replacement is not viable on the factory included barrel, does anyone know any organization that will port the blank compensator to factory spec, preferably with an EDM? Magnaport will not.

Thanks,

Zack

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Whooops, I have the same set up as you. Consider finding a qualified (one that works on race guns) gunsmith and ask him that question. The answer you get will be what he can do. Good luck! Could you keep me posted? I would like to know what a gunsmith says. Just pm me.

I did talk to a gunsmith who does open guns, but not Tanfoglios so much, and that was his opinion.

I think it would be possible to rethread if the diameter is different, that is my aim if it is threaded since I don't know of a source with efficient Tanfoglio comps. Also, do you happen to know the thread specs?