Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P 16 extractor

kmca

I don't have a power extractor. I was trying to replace my used extractor with a new Wilson Bullet Proof extractor. The "hook" of the Wilson is about .030 too far forward of the case rim. I was just wondering, if the Wilson extractor is "out of spec", or is the Para extractor dimensionally different.

some fitting may be necessary.

I understand fitting could be required, even with "drop in" parts. The problem I see with this extractor is, the distance between the firing pin stop and the hook is about .030 longer than the extractor that's in it now. Okay, maybe I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I don't know how to move the slot closer to the hook without welding :unsure: .

kmca

I'm going thru this right now myself. I have filed the slot on my extractor about 30 thousandths closer to the breachface. This seemed to look about right in the case/rim/extractor hook relationship. I have filled the slot in the extractor with epoxy hardening putty you can buy at the auto parts store. I'm not sure the "hardening putty" will hold up or not but worth a try.

After it sets up and I file most of it off, i'll test and get back to ya.

kmca

I'm going thru this right now myself. I have filed the slot on my extractor about 30 thousandths closer to the breachface. This seemed to look about right in the case/rim/extractor hook relationship. I have filled the slot in the extractor with epoxy hardening putty you can buy at the auto parts store. I'm not sure the "hardening putty" will hold up or not but worth a try.

After it sets up and I file most of it off, i'll test and get back to ya.

On advice from the gunsmith forum, I pulled an extractor from a 9mm and tried it. It fit perfectly. I guess the difference in extractors isn't Para vs 1911, but 9/40 vs 45, or maybe it's a coincidence.

Edited by kmca

A recent update:

I called Springfield, since their 9mm extractor seemed to fit, and they told me that the 9mm and the 45 extractors have a different part number. I ordered one, so I'll know in a few days.

Thanks for all your help.:)

kmca,

You didnt ask but......I shot 50 rounds thru the gun with the above mentioned modification to the extractor slot. No joy. After the 50 rounds the extractor was moving ~.010 -.015 for and aft. Back to the drawing board.

• 1 month later...

New update...the Springfield 9mm extractor fits perfectly. A little filing on the hook and it extracts well. Only problem is the Springfield extractor is stainless steel and my slide is blued...I can live with that :)