Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hotrod Benelli?

So if you want to hotrod your Benelli M1 what exactly can you do?

Lighten the bolt assembly

Extend and reshape the shell carrier

Trigger job

Lengthen the forcing cone

Modify bolt so loading can be done when it's not 100% closed

Ported barrel or choke tubes

Polish the internals

Profile shape the magazine tube entrance

Aftermarket recoil pad

Large carrier release button

Large safety

Large bolt handle

Aftermarket sight

Speed loading device

Back bore barrel and change choke system

What else can be done?

Sell it and buy a softer-faster gun like a Browning/Winchester or the good old 1100.

Don't get me started on the fart, I mean gas guns. The subject of this thread wasn't which gun to replace my Benelli with. :D

To address that faster - softer issue. Doesn't lightening the internal mass of the bolt make the Benelli much faster than gas guns? Put a kickeez recoil pad on the M1 then shoot it and any of the gas guns side by side, I can't tell a difference in the felt recoil.

Isn't it the Indian and not the arrow?

That's a very good point.

Many things on the list I started could be considered conveniences while others will make the gun better and overcome limitations of the gun.

In my situation my Benelli is a multi-purpose tool. Change the barrel to suit the sport I need it to that day. It's my primary clay target gun, my primary hunting gun, and my primary all around gun. I shoot it a lot and it's cycled over 50,000 rounds since it was bought new in 1991.

It's been a great gun in nearly stock form but now I want to make it better so once again the shooter is the limiting factor not the gun.

Recently I've changed the recoil pad and added a hi-viz comp sight. I sent the 21" barrel off for some work, it's getting back bored to .735", forcing cone lengthened, and a different style choke system installed.