Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

David E.'s quest to get into a 3GN shoot-off!

Nuke8401

My new long term goal for 2012 is to get into a 3 Gun Nation shoot-off. I have been shooting some action pistol, rifle, shotgun, 2 gun and a couple of 3 gun matches this past year in “Limited” with irons. Living in the northeast I must travel to shoot in any 3GN matches, I have family in Kentucky so I am planning to shoot the AR-15/Rockcastle match and the BRM3G and hopefully one more. I would like to shoot the Iron Man or FB3G if it is run in 2012.

Current skills:

I am currently classified USPSA production “C” (sandbagger, <1 away form “B”)

Classified SSP Master in IDPA, match bump, I shoot more like SSP Expert.

Equipment:

-G34, connector, stock springs, serpa, warn tactical sights, 1 extended mag+ normal high caps.

- Mossberg 930, 9+1 (Nordic +5), single FO front, feed porting, currently load weak hand 6x6 shell holders.

-Franken 16” mid length gas AR, Leupold CQT-CM-R2, Stag lower, JP yellow springs, trigger work, stock ARMALITE upper, Jerry Miculek comp.

After struggling with irons/lighting conditions at the AR-15/Rockcastle PRO-AM shooting in AM; I decided to switch to TO and go with a Leupold CQT with the CM-R2 reticle. I received it on Friday, sighted in on Saturday and shot a USPSA rifle match on Sunday (10/9/2011) finishing 4th of 48 in TAC-Optics, WOO-HOO :) ! I chose the CQT because: rugged, simple 1-3x, large FOV at 1X, new CM-R2 BDC reticle. Many would say that 3X is not enough but after shooting irons, 3X is like looking through the Hubble space telescope. Concerning daylight illumination, nada in bright sunlight. But during this match when I did choose to use the illumination it obscured my view of a small steel plate and actually added to my time, dang it!

I will be shooting a local action shotgun match this coming Sunday and the Hartford/Coast Guard 3 GUN the following Saturday. Working on the weak hand reloads over the next 2 weeks.

So my basic plan is to get in better physical condition using modified (light) cross-fit and diet (lost 20 lbs already, need to loose 20 more), improve my shotgun skills (reloads, clays in the air), rifle barricade/position work (Vtac Barricade), improve my agility/movement to different shooting locations/positions is my top priority.

So this diary is for me to track my progress and add some accountability.

Feel free to comment or give advice.

Concerning equipment, I favor reliability over latest gismo and believe it’s the archer not the arrow, as long as the arrow is workable/straight.

My Avitar; if I could only get in the shape Kurt was in for that movie!

David E.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on weak hand reloads from DYI 6x6 carrier. First 8(4+4) are easy, last 4 are a challenge.

Also working on strong hand recovery from empty gun.

Debating the load 2 options out there.

Shotgun match in 3 days.

Coast guard 3 gun in 10.

David E.

Dan,

I weak hand load from the shoulder normally.

If the gun goes dry (by mistake of course) I thought the best way to recover was to pull a shell from the 2 shell holder I mounted just in front of the port with my strong hand, chamber the round, then switch and load the tube weak hand.

I do have to take the gun off my shoulder to use my strong hand. I tried empty chamber loading with my weak hand, rolling the gun counterclockwise so the port is up, but if I have more than one shell in hand I fumble.

What’s the best way?

David

I shoot with a naked gun, no side saddle, no "2 pack". I've been working on Kurt Miller's technique, grab from the normal caddy, go under the gun, into the port and hit the carrier release. The bolt handle can't hit your hand that way. It takes a bunch of practice to get away from port loading strong hand.

If I recall, Trapr tilts the gun to the left and drop a shell in from the top.

You have a heck of a task to get into a shoot off. People are changing divisions to try and improve their odds for it. The way I got into one, is the most reliable for me, dumb luck of a draw. :roflol:

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

I can't rely on "dumb luck", the only luck I ever have is bad luck.

I think I have a chance with irons if KurtM, CAS, Dyno and a few others just happen to sit out a match that I go to and shoot irons.

I'm trying to stay motivated with short and long term goals.

My goal for the Hartford 3 gun is top 5% in TO.

I'm beginning to like the optic thing and am downloading my rifle rounds to match my optic BDC and will also lessen recoil. I was shooting XM 193 at the rifle match, 3000fps out of my 16", I should be at about 2800 with my latest loads. I will be checking my zero, chrono and function testing them this weekend.

I am good at keeping a steady pace and preventing the wheels form coming off, I think my average stage finish was 6th at the rifle match but I came in 4th with my highest stage finish being 4th. I do need to push speed a little with the rifle.

Your shotgun match? Im shooting for top 10%!

Edited by Nuke8401

If you really want the kind of finish to get into the shootoffs, I think you need to attend far more matches. That's the common factor of all the upper finishers. I know that Kurt shoots a lot, and that Casman has increased his match participation, along with Jesse, and Dyno. Match experience is worth much more that practice. Practice is needed too, though.

Shotgun match yesterday, great match, 130 ish rounds, lots of reloading.

Finished first in Tactical, woo hoo :cheers:

The good:

-I wasn’t the fastest shooter, as shown by the stage with no reload required, but my reload practice plus my homemade 6x6 carriers (36 on the belt) let me excel in the match.

-Switching to amber lenses in the "woods" stage was a good choice; really made the hidden clays stand out. Multi-focal contacts with Revision Sawfly glasses is the best combination I have used in the past 7 years.

-No equipment malfunctions, REM Nitro 27s, one flitecontrol on a 20-25yd plate. While it may have looked stupid, I used a rangefinder on steel which gave me the confidence to use an SK1 choke(.725) for a pretty wide pattern.

The bad: missed one flipper.

The ugly: Went 11 for like 28 on a skeet/sporting clays like stage. :angry2:

To improve?

Shoot some skeet!!!!!!

Stay on the reload practice, it pays off big!!!

Edited by Nuke8401

Concerning improvement; on second thought after thinking about it further my biggest improvements have been due to dry-fire practice vice live-fire. Rifle and shotgun manipulation: reloading, empty starts, empty chamber starts, weapon dumping, getting into and out of position, V-Tac barricade.

After reading Ben S. won the USPSA Production Nationals an knowing he is a dry fire fanatic, I think I'm catching on to the benefits of dry-fire.

Finishing well on the recent rifle match and winning the shotgun match have really got me stoked to practice.

David E.

Been practicing shotgun reloads, switched my empty gun load to what Dan said. I roll the gun about 45 degrees clockwise, load the chamber and then the next 3 in the tube. Using an 8 second par time I'm about 5 of 10. Normal load 8 using par time of 7 seconds I'm just about ready to go to 6 seconds. I gave some thought to trying a load-2 setup but between the cost and my progress with weak hand I plan to stick with weak hand for now.

Been dry firing this past week each night with pistol, live fire today, I've lost some with the pistol since I have been concentrating on the rifle and shotgun.

Checked my rifle zero at 200 today with Hornady steel match 75&55gr. Both 75 and 55 POI within 1" at 200. I plan to use steel match in all matches from now on. It is about the same cost as reloading if buying the brass at 75/1000. The 75gr from my 16" barrel chronos at 2650 and matches my BDC out to about 500.

Edited by Nuke8401

Dan,

I must admit my rule #1 is hard to follow, I am very wary of taking advice especially on the internet.

But since I know you and some of your experiences in shooting I trust your advice 100%.

It took me almost 40 years but when someone older/more experienced than me gives advice, I listen.

I'm ready for the Coast Guard match, I expect to win!

David

WOO HOO! :cheers:

I won TO by a good margin! :D

Shot the match on day 1, didn’t think I had done particularly well. First day scores posted on day 2. I was in the lead by almost 60 seconds.

The Good:

- Kept the wheels on.

- Hit 1 maybe 2 no shoots; there were tons of them and every hit counted as a penalty!

- Hit all 4 flippers; went a little conservative and only engaged one other poper after the trigger poper befor shooting the flippers.

- 100 & 200 yd rifle shots no problem.

- I loaded about 30 shotgun shells total on the clock including a 24 rounds empty gun start stage. I didn't fumble one reload! I used the weak hand empty gun load a few times, thanks Dan S. for the last miniute tip!

The Bad:

-Failed to use the most stable position available when shooting rifle. On some 30-40 yard partials targets I shot off-hand when props were available in 3 of 4 positions. Lost some big points there.

-Under choked/under power loads on the Texas Star and plate rack. Turned a 10 second string into a 25 second string.

The Ugly?? Nothing really ugly.

While this wasn’t a major match by any means it is my first 3 gun match win above the local club level.

Now what? I'm pumped up about my recent 2 wins but dreading getting beaten which I know is coming.

One thing I know for sure; being able to reaload a shotgun well is a winning stratigy.

Edited by Nuke8401

Practiced weak hand reloading last night, still using 7 sec par time for 8 and 9 second for empty gun load 8.

USPSA Shotgun match NOV 13 Rifle match NOV 27.

Short term shotgun plan, work on weak hand loading, empty gun loading.

Short term rifle plan, pushing time to first shot using V-tac barricade. Reloads. Pushing speed on close targets.

Working shotgun reloads this past 3 day weekend. Thumb is raw meat.

I researched the advantages of having more than 8+1. I changed from my +5 to a +6 tube (10+1 capacity) for outlaw matches that allow any capacity after the buzzer.

Adding 2 immediately after the buzzer, if you must move before shooting, is a winner!

Even on stages where you shoot imediately, haviing the ability to add 4 almost anytime is a big plus.

Practiced adding 2 at the buzzer.

Shotgun match in 6 days, goal is for reloads to be "full auto"!

I will have a plug before the next match.

Still kicking myself for not reading the rules right before the PRO/AM match. The rules changed from the time I printed them (right after they were posted online) until the match started. SG capacity went from 9 max anytime to 9 max at the buzzer. Would have made a difference in the match.

My fault won't happen again.

Practiced again last night, maybe 40 minutes, load 8, load 8 empty gun start, load 2. Loading on the move, loading with eyes closed, loaded while watching TV.

Plan to practice loading while running (If you can call it that) tonight.

Well I think I've practiced enough to consider my weak hand reloads "full auto" requiring no thought.

My thumb needs so time off before the next match.

Plan to take a break until Saturday night before the match and do 10-20 8 shell runs.

I've been doing some pistol dry fire also for the last week with my M+P. Going to shoot it tonight at the S&W IDPA match. I would like to switch from the G34 to the M+P.

Edited by Nuke8401

USPSA shotgun match at Harvard Sportsman’s club on 11/13/2011. Club level match, 4 stages, one slug stage, 2 all steel stages and one steel clays on a windmill stage.

The good:

- Came in first in TAC. :) Beaten by one open shooter.

- Most reloads were smooth, remember bobbling one reload.

- 2 Stage wins (all steel stages), not the fastest shooter but reloads and stage breakdowns were good.

The bad:

- Could not hit the clays on the windmill, using LM choke, should have used SK1. :angry:

- So-so on the slug stage, not sure what went wrong. (Just felt slow)

- Did not bring/use a range finder; all targets were close but without ranging I had less confidence in choke/load selection which resulted in using LM on one stage.

Things to improve:

- Moving targets.

- Choke selection, pattern and steel plate test LM.

- R&D using spreaders.

- R&D low recoil flight-control loads to use with an open choke on hard/distant steel.

Next short term goal:

- 11/27/2011 Action rifle match, I’m not going there to lose!

Preps between now and then:

- Dry-fire practice time to first shot from 5 to 50 yards.

- Practice reloads on the move, slow walk to running.

- Practice empty gun starts; all versions, table starts.

- Practice getting into/out of kneeling and prone.

- Practice shooting kneeling and reverse kneeling.

- Live fire 22.

- Live fire 223 at 50yds

- Check zero.

- Proof test 48 round mag.

Decieded to keep track of all Rifle, Shotgun, 2/3 Gun matches:

10/9/2011 USPSA rifle match, Harvard Sportsman's Club, 4th in TO.

10/16/2011 Action Shotgun match Bradford, finished 1st in Limited (TAC)

10/22-10/23/2011 Maritime 3 Gun match, Hartford Gun club, 1st in TO.

11/13/2011 USPSA Shotgun Match, Harvard Sportsman's Club, 1st in Limited (TAC)

24" Turkey barrel, not one failure yet.

I clean the piston, rings and the barrel (piston matting surface) before each match and proof test the gun prior to the match. I don't think I have ever cleaned it between matches, just shot it. So far it cycles everything I've put in it from full power slugs to all brands of Wal-Mart. I use REM Nitro 27s for matches.