Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt Work.........

STIGUY

Putting together. a Tactical/Target type rifle from a Rem. 700 bsrrel action that I bought new as a package. Should I have the Bolt lacking lugs lapped? I always like the feel of the resistance of a new rifle action. But thought that sometimes this may cause some difficulty with faster follow up shots/extraction issues. Additinal I plan on getting the bolt Ionbonded and thus I need to do this before rather than later.

While I am at it , I wad thinking of having a M-16 type extractor install on the bolt. Do you recommend this? I have read different opniins on this subject, the only real time I have had past problems with the factory extraction is when it is done slowly and with an attempt to grab the round before it is fully ectracted out.

Lapping the lugs is not for smoothness of cycling but to make sure both bolt lugs are engaging the action as close to equally as possible. The theory being that it will increase accuracy. We built a 700 project gun here at Brownells and were able to shrink group sizes, and stop a 3-shots-together, 2-shots-together group tendancy by squaring the action face, lapping the lugs and bedding the action. As far as the extractor, others will have to answer that. Here's the address for part 1 of the article. Kind of long, sorry, I'm too blame for the windiness. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10506/learn/How-To-Build-Your-Own-Remington-700-Part-I

A10X is gerge gardner of GAP rifles. If the man says no don't do it...don't think twice don't do it!

The standard extractor for standard calibers is fine.

As far as bolt work, haveing a a rem700 trued up and lapped is always a good idea if your lookingto squick every bit of accuracy out of it. How's the rifle shooting right now? I've see remmys that will hold .5-1moa out of the box, not always the norm but it does happen. If I had a solid shooting 700 out of thebox I would just shoot the hell out of it, and if and when it came time to rebarrel I would have the action done then as well.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk