Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S_I forward grip screws

Alan Adamson

I'm curious... On all the S_I guns that I have, the forward grip screw attach point is somewhat strange. The little bushing is wider than the thickness of the grip or frame lug and so when you run the little screws into it from both sides, there is always play that allows you to never have it tight... The play allows the little bushing to *float* back and forth across the frame/grip.

Is this a design feature, does the bushing in the frame and grip provide enough support for what is needed here or does not allowing this to be tight, create a point of flex or POI shift? (note, it wouldn't be very darn much).

What would really be needed to fix this is that the bushing would need to be shorter such that the screw heads would pinch the grip before they bottomed out on the bushing...

Do people just bottom them out and forget about the float that exists?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Seems all my guns are the same... once the screw heads are bottomed out, there is approx 1/32 - 1/16 of an inch of lateral play that I can feel by pressing one side or the other screw head in, pushing the bushing back and forth...

Alan

I've built several S_I frames up and currently own two. All of them have the loose fit you describe, and IMHO it has no effect whatsoever on POI. The sleeve does what it's supposed to, keeping the tang from moving up and down in the grip and the fit of the tang in the grip takes care of any sideways movement. I don't see any benefit to shortening the sleeve to take out the play.

• 2 weeks later...