Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Comp Instructors In Chicago Area

Hey all,

Looking to see what instruction opportunities there are in the Chicago area for competition skills coaching. Either USPSA or IDPA would be fine. I have looked at a few. Excel, Spartan, Impact are all good but are either too much on the beginner side or are more tactical than comp oriented. Ideally I would like to find a coach that could guide me to chasing the upper sides of the circuit and getting my skills up to a level that would be competitive. Any suggestions?

Hey all,

Looking to see what instruction opportunities there are in the Chicago area for competition skills coaching. Either USPSA or IDPA would be fine. I have looked at a few. Excel, Spartan, Impact are all good but are either too much on the beginner side or are more tactical than comp oriented. Ideally I would like to find a coach that could guide me to chasing the upper sides of the circuit and getting my skills up to a level that would be competitive. Any suggestions?

Where are you shooting now? There are clubs that host visiting instructors like Phil Strader and others. You could also consider finding a high-caliber shooter at a match and asking them if you could pay them for some one-on-one time. If you're a new shooter, a master class shooter could give you enough in an hour to work on for a year...

Larry

I am shooting locally at Maxxon's outlaw match and at mchenry idpa and ipsc matches. I intend to hit a north porter county and a pine tree match soon. I have a shooter willing to help me out but I was ondering if there were any actual coaches around this area.

You can try Midwest Training Group (MTG.) Bob H. is an accomplished competition shooter, and an excellent instructor. They are a 'travelling' crew, so do classes throughout the area.

I know Oak Park hosts Phil Strader, and perhaps others, throughout the year.

Larry

Hey all,

Im gooing to schultz today for a comp shooting class with Mike Williams, I'll let you know how it was.

Class was lots of fun, it was a bit over two hours. We started from basics like stand, draw, natural point of aim. Then went over transitions, splts, follow ups and movements. Definatelly hands on approach, went through about 250 rnds.

I brought home a lot of new things to practice from his class. I will do another class with him in a couple of weeks.

You can PM me for his contact info if you interested.

Master class shooter at NPCC. His name is Repete Briggs. Very good guy and shoots Open, Limited and Single Stack. Very good stage breakdowns and fundamentals. Repete shoots for Lake Mortgage, look for green and white Techwear shirt. He's very nice and approachable.