Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac Pro 3 Gun - Oct 8th

Anyone from Austin area going and want to carpool? I'm still trying to decide whether to go up Sat morning and leave at 4:30AM or go up Friday and get a hotel.

Will I need to steal my daughter's little red wagon or can I drive between stages?

Ben

Anyone from Austin area going and want to carpool? I'm still trying to decide whether to go up Sat morning and leave at 4:30AM or go up Friday and get a hotel.

Will I need to steal my daughter's little red wagon or can I drive between stages?

Ben

Stages will be some distance apart, so the little red wagon won't be necessary. Stages are usually natural terrain and parking can be limited, so carpooling is a good idea.

The only time I went there, I found a motel the night before. Cost more, but much more enjoyable day. IIRC, match, etc., ran late into Saturday so getting up early would have made it a REAL long day.

You never know about TacPro matches... I have been there when the stages were stupid simple and we were outa there at 3, and other times leaving well after dark. I dont mind the long day's, I love to shoot.

What time is hammer down tomorrow? Schedule?

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/

From the match application:

Range Brief: 8:30am Start Time: 8:00am

I am not really sure how we have a start time that is BEFORE the range safety briefing - but you get the idea. :-)

I'd plan to be there and ready to hit your stage by 8am. I'll be getting there around 7:30. There is a whataburger in Willow Park on Ranch house rd, which is 1 hour from tacpro. We'll hit that around 6:30-6:45.

What time is hammer down tomorrow? Schedule?

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/

From the match application:

Range Brief: 8:30am Start Time: 8:00am

I am not really sure how we have a start time that is BEFORE the range safety briefing - but you get the idea. :-)

I'd plan to be there and ready to hit your stage by 8am. I'll be getting there around 7:30. There is a whataburger in Willow Park on Ranch house rd, which is 1 hour from tacpro. We'll hit that around 6:30-6:45.

Monte Long told me that hammer down was 9:00 which makes sense as the flyer is a typo and off one hour.

Well, How was the match? Did it get rained out?

The match ran much smoother than last year which was a very welcome change. I had a lot of fun with the great squad we had.

Thanks to all the RO's, stats folks, admin folks, my squad mates and of course the very generous sponsors.

It sprinkled a little on and off all day but not hard enough to really do much. Then it poured as our squad was driving off the last stage.

The fast run and gun pistol stage was very fun.

Everyone enjoyed the long range rifle stage.

The stage with the long slugs was fun and challenging for certain! I think that was the first time I have shot slugs over 100 yards in a match. Here we had to shoot 6 of them and the targets were only 2/3 IPSC. Unfortunately, half our squad didn't bring enough slugs to the match because there isnt round count info posted anywhere.

The two blind stages were a waste of everyone's time just like last year. I think the blind pistol stage had 11 steel targets and the blind pistol/shotgun had 4 pistol and 7 shotgun targets and both stages took as long or longer to shoot and reset as the big 3 gun stages. I'm still not sure why they keep wasting everyone's time with those low round count slow shooting blind stages instead of testing everyone's shooting ability with two more real life shooting challenge stages like actually having to reload the shotgun?!?!

It would have been nice if we would have been told we needed shotgun slings. Half our squad borrowed my shotgun and/or sling. I know being tactical means you come with everything on your tac vest but a shotgun sling is not an item most recreation shooters even own.

Prize table was decent again. Kel Tec sent a few shooters to the match along with a trio of pistols for the prize table.

DSG Arms also had a nice piston upper on the table.

I'll post some match video tomorrow.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Glad you had a better time this match, I think it was a pretty fun day. A few points from where I sit:

1. Slug count was on the application, no excuses there I think.

2. You didn't need a sling, you could have carried shotgun in the off hand or laid it down to shoot the pistol once you ran out of shotgun rounds[1]. Perhaps it will teach people that having a sling is a very useful thing, just like a holster is for a pistol. You can't do a 20-mile hike in a match very often so this will have to serve as an alternate way of getting that point across.

3. Agree on no shotgun reloading in the match. Match balance was a little light overall, worried about finishing time I suppose (luckily this time as it turned out with the rain). I'd like to see longer stages with more use of terrain, but that takes a bigger toll on ROs and is painful if it is 100+F as it has been in the past. We've had a 200 yard run on the rifle stage before, those are the things you remember.

4. Blind stages, like shotgun slings, are just reflective of the origins of the match and the association with TacPro's training focus. Thinking on your feet, target aquisition, etc. It is just not a mainstream 3-gun sport match as has gotten so popular in the past few years. Unfortunately, I do think over time the blind stages have gotten less challenging or inventive, the past few have effectively been standard stages without a run-through. Previously, they were more interactive (Bill Davidson playing a screaming lady victim giving instructions as you try to fight off a carjacking with a Greener shotgun) or prop-driven (moving targets, or charging target with a no-shoot that surprises you at a vulnerable moment). There was a simunition bank robbery scenario one time, not part of the match but as a learning experience. However, cool stuff like this brings some variability into what is presented to each shooter, and takes a lot of staff to set up and run.

[1] I'm assuming a sling wasn't required in the stage description. I didn't see the stage on match day, but that's the way it has worked on similar stages in the past.

It is just not a mainstream 3-gun sport match as has gotten so popular in the past few years.

Your statement says it all. :cheers:

I guess a bunch of people totally missed the slug requirement in the app. I know I did but I always bring way more stuff than I need anyways.

You could shoot your pistol with one hand while holding your shotgun in the other if you didn't have a sling but we weren't allowed to ditch it because the zombies might have picked it up and used it against us. :roflol:

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I was just checking out the scores. It appears as though the overall scores where biased heavily towards the guys that shot irons as they got their own set of match points for stage 1 and 2. i.e. the guy that took home the 2nd place trophy should have finished around 35+ overall but he got 100 match points just like I did on stage 1 and then he got another 100 match points just like Stephen Pineau did on stage 2 even though he shot both of those stages much slower that either of the Tac Optics stage winners. They should have given the 2nd plaec finisher a HOA for Tac Irons not 2nd overall.

TacProScores.jpg