Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aimpoint VS 1-4x

sbpt1911

Hi all, building a 3 gun AR 15. I was set on a 1-4x optic, but started thinking about a Aimpoint COMP ML3 2MOA - I have one already on one of my rifles. I have shot a couple matches with the Aimpoint and like it.

Max distance at our local matches would be 100 yards - sometimes 200 yards, mostly 10 to maybe 30 yards.

What are your thoughts?

Hi all, building a 3 gun AR 15. I was set on a 1-4x optic, but started thinking about a Aimpoint COMP ML3 2MOA - I have one already on one of my rifles. I have shot a couple matches with the Aimpoint and like it.

Max distance at our local matches would be 100 yards - sometimes 200 yards, mostly 10 to maybe 30 yards.

What are your thoughts?

Under most rules nowadays a 1x Aimpoint will put you in Tactical Iron/Limited division, so if you shoot it well you will likely rank better than you would have in the much more crowded Tactical Scope division. If you are shooting everything inside 200 yards, then an Aimpoint with 2MOA dot will likely be no disadvantage at all. I run the same optic - Aimpoint ML3/2MOA - and have no difficulty getting hits out to 500+ yards. Magnification is HIGHLY overrated IMHO except on poorly designed/built stages where the targets are hard to see (not painted, no backer, poor ambient light etc.). I say get the Aimpoint.

A lot of folks have gone to the 1x and back to limited, but it is still one of the smallest classes at matches. If you can see the targets at distance and your hits, you will be better off staying with the aimpoint. I can't since I can't see the targets anymore so I need the magnificaiton.