Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G21 not extracting unspent rounds

I am new to reloading. I have a Dillion 550 using dillon dies and my glock 21 does not like to cycle unspent rounds. It actually pretty much locks the slide closed. The rounds fit freely in the barrel. The OAL is well below the max. Any suggestions?

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else I found nothing in my search.

We need more info to help. What kind of brass, bullets, what is your oal you say it is well below max but what is it?

How are you cycling the rounds.

Ok. The brass is an assortment of once fired brass mostly brass blazer small primer. The bullets are 185gr SWC lead that is cast by a local guy. The OAL is 1.18. I am manually cycling it. If I shoot it the rounds feed and eject just fine. It's at the end of your string when you go to eject the chambered round that the problem arises. I spoke to a guy at the range who thought it may be that I'm crimping to much. I will crimp a little less and try it but I can't see that making it not eject. Thank you very much for your help.

I'd think the bullet is hanging up in the rifling at the end of the chamber. Look at one you manage to get out and see if there are any rifling marks on the bullet. They would be just prior to the case mouth. If this is the case, then seat them a little deeper and try those.

Or, take the barrel out of the gun and drop a round into the chamber, if the base of the case is not even with, or very slightly below the end of the barrel hood, you need to seat the bullet deeper.

The load I use in my 21 is OAL 1.230 and a crimp of .470 Dont know what your crimp is. This is with a Hornady HAP 230. I have not loaded 45 acp with and

blazer brass or small primers. Try some different brass and see if that helps.

The load I use in my 21 is OAL 1.230 and a crimp of .470 Dont know what your crimp is. This is with a Hornady HAP 230. I have not loaded 45 acp with and

blazer brass or small primers. Try some different brass and see if that helps.

Ok thanks for your guys input. I'll try to seat them a little deeper and see if that's maybe it. If that doesn't help I'll try the brass.