Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training

n1guess

what things do you do for training other than the normal dry fire draw practice and reloading drills..what shooting tips or tricks do you have or do for training. I am some what new to uspsa and want to get a lot better. I am always looking for new things to do wile practicing

thanks in advance for any and all help

Nick

as far as live ammo practice? Or dry fire/draw/reload "cold gun" practice?

as far as "cold", target transition and sight acquirement/alignment are additionally helpful, and practicing/getting comfortable in awkward shooting positions (leaning, squatting, ports, weak hand etc).

+1 for Mike's book.

Also, an easy on the budget live fire drill that will help a lot more than I anticipated is drawing and shooting an 8" plate or similar at 50 yards with followthrough like you're going to fire two shots. There is no speed objective, just the goal of hitting the plate 100% of the time on the first shot which is not easy. I would suggest starting at a shorter distance like 25 yards, but 50 should be the goal. Shooting the A zone of an ipsc target at 10 yards will be effortless after learning this skill.

Edited by DoubleA

I don't shoot open, but if you are new to the sport the basic fundamentals need to be drilled in reguardless of division.

Shooting groups for max accuracy should be a part of every session. The more accuracy you have available means you have more room to sacrifice it for speed and still get your hits.

Draw and shoot a controlled pair on an ipsc target at 7-15 yards. You want to be hitting 95% A's and letting your vision dictate the speed, not just repetition.

Set up with 2 targets at 7-15 yards away and about 45 degrees apart from your shooting position. Start pointed at one target and on the buzzer transition to the other, fire a shot, and transition back to the original and fire a shot. Alternate this and make sure you are seeing what you need to see to make an A hit 95% of the time.

These should get you started on the right track and not be too hard on the ammo budget. Also be sure you are doing all drills correctly before pushing your limits.