Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Touching the A zone

short_round

I was practicing indoor tonight. I set an IPSC target out at 15 yards. I wanted to work on vision so I saw what I wanted to hit, then saw the sights, then felt my hands and trigger, then pulled the trigger, then felt the recoil and repeated.

I wasn't timing myself but it felt slow maybe .4 to .6 splits, but I didn't care I was working on vision. By the time I was done I had fifty A hits (good hits too, nothing on the perfs.)

I thought about it a little bit and then thought maybe this was good. The wierd thing is I wasn't trying to get fifty A hits. I was "trying" to not pull the trigger until I saw what I decided I wanted to see in the sequence I wanted to see it.

Then I thought, could I do this again if I wanted to? Then I decided the answer was no. I couldn't get fifty for fifty if I wanted to hit fifty for fifty or even ten for ten. What I could do is hit one hundred for one hundred if I shot each shot individually like I had just done.

wierd ...

• 9 months later...

I can't believe this original post was almost a year ago.

I made myself go to practice tonight even though I didn't feel like it.

I did this thing tonight at 25 yards comfortably with .3 splits. After 54 rounds I had 7 C's, the rest were A's. Which is fine. The important thing is now I'm beginning to realize there is no such thing as shooting fast or slow for me. Each shot takes as long as it should. The thing is, it doesn't take me as long to do what I need to do as it did before.

My vision is pulled back. I can see the target, the dot, the break, the muzzle flash, the brass (even where it is going to land), and "yes virginia there is a santa claus" even the bullet every so often. There isn't even any real sequence to it. It just is.

My last search in this forum ended me up at the "Three Realms." I'm beginning to understand the difference between fundamentals and technique. All I can say is ... "wow, it's all here."

I was also starting to subscribe to the thought that the person who makes the least mistakes wins the match, but there is something in me fighting that. Somehow I want to believe that it is the one who opens their mind the most before and after and their eyes the most during that wins.

so much to learn ... so little time.

I guess all I can really say is:

Ma-ia-hii

Ma-ia-huu

Ma-ia-hoo

Ma-ia-haha

:D