Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Gold question

XDman

OK, I went to the range today with my stock Browning Gold that the only thing I have done is install a Nordic Comp extended mag tube and spring, and berrel clamp. As I was loading the fifth shell, it seemed like I had to push the shells further into the tube to get them to stay in the mag tube. Otherwise the shell would not allow the lifter to be pushed up to get the next shell in. :blink:

Also, once I got 8 shells in it, the gun fired and loaded fine until the 8th shell which left the tube and rested on the lifter, but the lifter never raised the shell to chamber. :surprise: No the bolt was not closed.

I have not had these problems in its stock configuration. I wanted to try my existing guns before starting to look at others.

Advice (except buying a Benelli) excepted.

I am trying to get all my guns to run well in mock stages before traveling to a match which the closest one is 2 hours away.

Thanks

The Gold's auto load from bolt lockback might have something to do with it. If the spring in the tube is to stiff the shells will push the bolt out of lockup, that's probably why you couldn't push the lifter up. Dunno about not loading the last shell though.

OK, I went to the range today with my stock Browning Gold that the only thing I have done is install a Nordic Comp extended mag tube and spring, and berrel clamp. As I was loading the fifth shell, it seemed like I had to push the shells further into the tube to get them to stay in the mag tube. Otherwise the shell would not allow the lifter to be pushed up to get the next shell in. :blink:

Also, once I got 8 shells in it, the gun fired and loaded fine until the 8th shell which left the tube and rested on the lifter, but the lifter never raised the shell to chamber. :surprise: No the bolt was not closed.

I have not had these problems in its stock configuration. I wanted to try my existing guns before starting to look at others.

Advice (except buying a Benelli) excepted.

I am trying to get all my guns to run well in mock stages before traveling to a match which the closest one is 2 hours away.

Thanks

The problem is the eight shell does not trip the shell latch which in turn allows the carrier to lift the receiving shell to the chamber.

Your extended tube and spring do not have enough power to trip the latch because the spring is weakest pushing the last shell out.

The fix is to remove the latch and cut the coil spring behind it. At least two coils, maybe three. If you cut to much the gun will not lock back but will still cure your problem.

Turn the gun upside down, the latch will be on the left. You will see a pin in the receiver that lets it pivot.

Inside the receiver is a slot. In the slot is a kind of hairpin that holds the pivot pin. Take that out. It holds the pivot pin in place. Push the pin out and the latch will come out. Cut two coils off and replace to try it.

Lock the bolt back. Put one shell in. The shell should auto load. If it does not, cut off one more coil.

That should do it.

You will not have to change anything if you take the tube off to put the gun back as it was.

Sounds complicated but it is really very easy to do.