Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Primer Tray

• 1 month later...

OK I have been rereading this thread and just realized something. I am using the flip tray differently than what I am seeing described here.

I slide the cardboard sleeve off and lay the rough side plate on top of the primers. I flip it over and lift the plastic tray out then put the other side of the tray on and shake it about three quick times to separate the primers a little.

I don't see how that is slower than what Dillon and others are recommending. What am I missing?

OK I have been rereading this thread and just realized something. I am using the flip tray differently than what I am seeing described here.

I slide the cardboard sleeve off and lay the rough side plate on top of the primers. I flip it over and lift the plastic tray out then put the other side of the tray on and shake it about three quick times to separate the primers a little.

I don't see how that is slower than what Dillon and others are recommending. What am I missing?

It depends on how your primers come packaged. Some primers come almost all anvil side up, some almost all cup side up, some really mixed, and some fsck'ing sideways (I hate federal primers for this reason). For me, if they are anvil side up, I just flip them to the smooth side of the tray and pick them up, nice and even spacing makes picking them up easy. If they are all cup side up, I first transfer them to another plastic primer tray to get them anvil side up, then to the smooth side of the tray (I use this method to keep the spacing of the primers even for easy picking). If they are mixed, I'll generally flip them to the rough side of the tray, pick up the properly oriented ones, then use the lid of the tray to flip and pick up the others.

The only time I ever really 'shake' the tray is with the sideways primers, but as others have posted, I don't sit and try to flip them all every time, its easier for me to just pick up the properly oriented ones, flip the tray, and pick up the rest. If there are only a few stragglers, I'll just flip them by hand. Shaking that tray to flip 3-4 primers just takes too long IMO.

I just bought a lee turret press to complement my 650. It came with a Lee safety prime. It uses a flip tray with a rough surface much like Glocks RTF. It is MAGIC in its ability to rapidly flip primers. It will flip a box of primers in literally 2 or 3 shakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find that my RCBS trays work best if I put them on a piece of plexiglass and then shake them. Primers seem to flip right away, and I get them all oriented in about 20 seconds. Plus the plexiglass adds some rigidity when you are picking up the primers with the tube.