Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why no G34 vs xd 5.25 comparison yet?

Had a chance to handle the gen 4 G34 and 5.25 2 days ago, but not to shoot them. The grip on the 34 was real good , the XD looks great.

Dry firing them without any trigger work did not impress one way or the other. The XD felt sturdier if that makes sense, and was right on for a 1911 shooter, while the wife thought they both worked for her. We did a quick search but a direct evaluation has not been made.

So was just curious if any glock shooters have had a chance to shoot the new xd or vice versa, and what their impressions have been. All of a sudden the xd is the gun people want, but no meaningful comparisons have been made. So if you have had the opportunity to shoot both (yes shooting both is a must), would you present your opinions/comparisons please.

I shot the 5.25 maybe a month or two ago.

I own a 35. Have also shot a 34. Both Gen 3's

The 5.25 seemed to have more recoil w/ factory 9mm than a 34 or my 35 with 155pf loads. I'm not sure if this is the result of the way the 5.25 is sprung from the factory or just me shooting on an indoor range.

I love the adjustable rear. If it proves to be durable, that's a double plus. Front sight was a little wide for my taste.

Grip felt just like any other XDM. To me, it seems like it's lacking in circumference, although that could be the result of that particular backstrap. I'm not sure. It seemed to point well, regardless.

Accuracy offhand at 15 yds was more than acceptable. For a gun I'd never shot before, a 2-3 inch group shot in a dimly lit indoor range with cheap ammo is perfectly fine by me. Btw, the entire box of 50 rds was in that group, split between my buddy and I. I wouldn't feel at a disadvantage using a 5.25 for USPSA, 3-gun, or anything along those lines.

That being said, I won't be getting one.

I don't feel like making the transition to another platform.

The Glock grip is comfortable to me. (maybe my hand has been deformed by now)

Bottom line:

If I were just starting out, I'd look really hard at the 5.25.

The factory sights are actually usable, unlike Glock's.

Slightly increased mag capacity over the 34.

Interchangeable backstraps to fit a variety of hand sizes.

Front cocking serrations. (Oh how I wish Glocks came with these...)

etc.

I had shot the G34 for over a year and loved it. The grip angle felt very natural to me and I was fairly accurate with it.

I have always liked the XDm, but never really gave it a chance. As soon as the 5.25 came out I was immediately drawn to it. I ended up buying one and had Scott Springer put a competition trigger job on it. So I can't compare the two triggers. But The XDm grip is much slimmer than the Glock. I have smaller hands, and I use the medium back-strap on the XDm and it feels perfect.

The sights are great. My reloads are noticeably faster and smoother with The XDm. I shoot the XDm more accurately than the G34 but I attribute most of that to the trigger. The XDm feels like it is built better. The front and rear slide serrations are very nice to have during a draw and load start or table start. The XDm rear sight has a very narrow notch compared to the Dawson's I had on the G34, so the .100 wide front sight does not look as skinny as I expected. Lastly, it shoots lead very well with barely any leading.

Overall, I feel more comfortable shooting the XDm and I'm glad I made the transition. I don't think I'll ever shoot a Glock again.

You can't go wrong with either gun. Shoot what feels most comfortable!

Thank you for the great reviews,

Local friend dealer has a 34 coming, he likes glocks. The xd did feel "sturdier", it is a little heavier but just "feels" better.

I really would like to find someone with an xd and have her shoot it, it will be easy to get a Glock to shoot, well maybe. It was the grip on the Gen 4 that felt better to her, apparently the grip is slimer on the new glock generation, and the little nobbies grip well.

OK, she does like the looks of the xd better, and really liked the sights. first question she asked " can the sights on the Glock be changed?

The controls on the glock, the mag release especially she could get to better than the xd, not sure about the slide stops on either since we did not attempt to drop the slides. Triggers on both can be improved, the first thing I will do for her when she makes her choice.

Accuracy, Well, so far everone with the 5.25 is raving about the accuracy, glocks are accurate for some, but I do not have any experience with them. If it was up to me, I would get the xd and we went to look at it specifically, since a 34 was available I told her to compare, it was the new Glock grip that got her attention.

• 2 months later...