Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI IMM 38SC load request

BlueOvalBruin

I just picked up a used SVI IMM in 38SC recently and would like to get a recommendation for a starting load. I've been doing searches for a few days now and have read pretty much every relevant thread for my barrel, comp, and powder choices but nothing has been terribly informative since almost every load was for a gun with a different setup than mine.

Anywho, I bought some 3n38 because SVI says to use it and all the other IMM shooters I know use it. I also have a good selection of montana gold bullets, the 124gr JHP, 121gr IFP, and 115gr JHP. I have new starline brass and winchester SRPs.

My gun has an SVI brand AET barrel with 3 hybrid holes and SV's 2 chamber comp. It seems to me most folks running the 4-port barrels are up in the 10's but of course my barrel only has 3. Would 9.4gr be a good place to start?

What OAL are folks using with their IMM's? It seems most folks are at 1.235" with other guns but SV's are running at 1.240-1.250". Is that right?

Thanks.

Im pretty sure youll like 3n38, cause thats like the only powder SVI says to use in their hybrids. i use it (3 port comp, 3 port hybrid) and i love it. 9.9 gr 3n38 at 1.240 (MG 124 JHP) works like a charm, but have never owned an SVI IMM, so cant give ya specifics for that. load up the 124 MG's with 9.4 like ya said, chrono, and go from their. dont like the feel, or flip? switch to 115's for a little more powder, might make it flatten out. good luck. stick with that 3n38, i think youll like it ;)

Edited by user293

I tried a couple loads yesterday and a few springs too. I tried that 9.4gr load from above and the 10gr load that SVI recommended. Load data is below:

9.4gr Viht 3n38

124gr MG JHP

Win SRP

1.244" OAL

new starline brass

light crimp

---> 159.0 PF

10.0gr Viht 3n38

124gr MG JHP

Win SRP

1.244" OAL

new starline brass

light crimp

---> 166.8 PF

SVI recommends 172-174PF so I'm thinking I'll try 10.4gr next. The gun was already pretty flat with the 10gr load and should be even better at 172PF. The 9.4gr was a little flippy.

The 9lb variable Wolff had too much dip so I switched to the 7lb variable which was perfect.

I spoke with another IMM shooter the other day and he’s using the 124gr MG with win SRP and starline brass and he gets 167PF with 10.0gr also out of his 4-port SVI barrel with a 2-chamber comp. I loaded a few at 10.3gr last night and will try them out tonight hopefully.

The zero bullets are a little bigger I believe so it makes sense that it chronos higher. Are you using the .355” or .356” bullets?

Zero bullets take less powder than MG(In my testing). I really like Zero, but finding them in stock is just plain luck. MG is 99.9 available when you need em. MG gold is also less expensive than Zero in bulk.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 7.5gr Autocomp on a 124 CMJ MG. Works well for me. I tried the 3N38 and did not like it. Could not get it to shoot flat. 3N38 is VERY LOUD in my gun. I had a 3 port comp and 4 holes in the barrel. I changed to a 2 port and 3 holes in the barrel. I got tired of cleaning the scope after 2 stage. The 3 hole barrel is much cleaner on the scope.

I have an SVI IMM Open gun with 2 port comp and 4 blow holes. I run the OAL at 1.235 - 1.240 to prevent dragging on the mags. I use 10.4g 3N38, WSP, 121 IFP Montana Golds and a crip at .378 and get 171 PF consistently at matches around the country.

Have fun!

Edited by Pezco

I use 7.5gr Autocomp on a 124 CMJ MG. Works well for me. I tried the 3N38 and did not like it. Could not get it to shoot flat. 3N38 is VERY LOUD in my gun. I had a 3 port comp and 4 holes in the barrel. I changed to a 2 port and 3 holes in the barrel. I got tired of cleaning the scope after 2 stage. The 3 hole barrel is much cleaner on the scope.

thats weird, 3n38 is the ONLY powder that would shoot flat in my gun with 3 port comp, 3 port hybrid. were you up around the 170 pf range? thats interesting...i love 3n38