Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bore Axis

kcobean

I have been shooting an XD variant in competition for about a year now. I keep reading how the XD is bad because of its high bore axis compared to other guns. I'm curious if anyone has actually done any measurements of bore axis relative to something like a Glock 34 or similar model that is prevalent in competition. How much higher is it really, or are people just parroting what they heard someone else say?

Yes, measurements have been made and the difference between the Glocks/M&P's and the XD's is very minute!! The bore axis of the 1911 is even more than that of the XD so go figure. PS: Haven't seen TGO complaining about the "bore axis" of the XDm 5.25!

Edited by The_Vigilante

People are parroting what they heard someone else say.

You will also hear people say (not on this forum, but go to one where people are less... informed) that the extra power recoil spring they put in their gun really made their felt recoil go away. I always wonder if those people even know what they're feeling.

If you have a proper grip, the bore height of a production gun isn't going to make a difference to your shooting. If you have a personal preference for a heavier gun vs. a lighter gun, or for certain ergonomics over others, or for a style or feel of a trigger, then let that make your decision. I think bore axis is pretty much a non issue, and is more of gun store a marketing ploy that caught on than anything else.

Edited by beltjones

I think the bore axis thing is real (law of physics), but its effects are so minute to be completely irrelevant. I dont think anyone lost a match because of their XD's bore axis. If the XD works for you, then that is all that really matters.

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

In the end all the talk of bore axis is drivel...the gold standard pistol, the 1911 has the highest, yet it is the yardstick in which all are judged against, especially in the feel and trigger dept. Lot's of misinformation is spread by fanboys and sheep. So in the end, shoot what feels good to you and ignore the rest.

Yes, measurements have been made and the difference between the Glocks/M&P's and the XD's is very minute!! The bore axis of the 1911 is even more than that of the XD so go figure. PS: Haven't seen TGO complaining about the "bore axis" of the XDm 5.25!

Yep..TGO must be the exception..I don't know how he won so much with such a high bore axis on his 1911's. :roflol: