Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE

Have any of you tried ICORE?  It is a cross between PPC and IPSC.  The movement is the same, but the scoring uses the Bianchi targets.  Your score is your time, plus time penalties for lesser hits.  The time adds up quickly, as it is +1, +2, and +5 for a miss per shot.

I just shot the Midwest Revolver Championships, and on my first stage (low on coffee, mostly IPSC practice, a bowling pin match the day before) I shot it at IPSC speed.  It took me 21 seconds to shoot and I had 21 seconds in added time.  My average added time for the rest of the match was 5 seconds per stage.

If you like revolvers, it can be a bunch of fun.  I used to shoot in a PPC league for years (with a 1911, no less) and I found I was a much better shooter for the practice.  I think the change of pace and the emphasis on accuracy can do much the same, without the stultifying PPC routine.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sir,

As a former IDPA shooter that became disabled,i looked for a sport that i could compete in. ICORE responded to my request for info promptly and welcomed me in my "chair". i was told "come and shoot anytime." " hell i'll push you if you want to shoot" i guess i will and it will give me something to do with my S&W 625.  i think i might be able to shoot in GSSF also however that is another thread.

• 1 month later...

I shot my first ICORE match today and much to my suprise I did like it. I shot with my Glock and 8 rd mags. I plan to shoot the next one with a SW 686 that I recently purchased. I am looking for grips and speed loaders for it. I liked that the emphasis was on accuracy. It is a good change for me from IDPA and IPSC. I was suprised that it not more friendly to the 6 shooters and seemed to favor the the 7 and 8 shot guns.

I am glad to see that they are trying to help disabled shooters keep shooting. Good luck.

I shoot 2 S&W 686's and find the standard grips with a few sharp edges sanded off about the best for speed versus accuracy. It will depend on hand size. I highly reccommend avaoiding rubber. High quality wood is best. A friend at the club only uses revolvers ( beats nearly all the auto guys at NRA ) and he has a modified hogue NRA style grip for his usual 686. No finger grooves and checkered on sides and back.

I am surprised that seeing as 98% of revolvers sold are 6 rounds or less, that ICORE has gone the hicap route. It seems daffy to me. The top boys/gals seem also to use moon clips.

The stages are supposed to be six-shot neutral.  I shot the Midwest (which I'll miss because of the Factory Gun Nationals) with a seven-shot S&W, and never needed the seventh shot the whole day.

Mu only grumble (and minor at that) is that the scoring dropoff is too great.  +1, +2 and +5 seconds enforces a slower pace.  But for ease fo scoring, and to keep from scaring off the Bianchi and PPC shooters, the method works just fine.

We'll see some faster wheelgunning at the club when we have our annual IPSC Revolver Championship.

Yes, the top shooters use fullmoon clips, but the top shooters are always going to utilize the last percentage of equipment available.

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 8:11 am on Mar. 25, 2002)