Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Weight Deviation

ultrablue

I started the reloading process as a newbie. I have been diligent with the weights and measures and sizes. All has worked well so far. I weighed several completed rounds and noticed what I would call large swings in weights. From 0 to 1.5 grains in overall weight. I have checked the powder measure frequently and that has been consistent at 4.0 grains of Bullseye. I started to weigh a group of the 124 gr XTreme bullets and here is what I found;

172 weighed

The range is from 122.9 gr to 124.7 gr.

28 weighed in at 123.9 gr

20 weighed in at 123.6 gr

16 weighed in at 123.3 gr

13 weighed in at 124.3 gr

13 weighed in at 123.4 gr

12 weighed in at 123.8 gr

12 weighed in at 124.1 gr

The rest of the pieces fall in the stated range above.

Is this a typical range of weights to see in 1000 pieces and how does it effect velocity and power factor?

Should I weed out the lower weights and where should the cutoff be?

i think the question here is what are you trying to achieve? are you going for the most consistent loads in the pursuit of the maximum accuracy your gun/load can produce? and if so is this an intellectual exercise, just for fun, or for a perceived notion that everyone does this? the first two are realistic pursuits, the third is delusional. :D

if you're just loading up stuff for general use then you're wasting your time. there is enough variation with bullets that all weigh exactly the same that would mask any significant change you could see with separating them based on the weight differences you're seeing.

all else being perfect, heavier bullets will move slower with the same powder charge as light bullets. it might be a point of two of power factor, but as mentioned when you take normal variation into account and the slight difference in weight in your bullets, you might not see any real difference in actual power factor.

your numbers are probably well within the normal range of weight differences that you see in cast bullets. i'm not sure what type of variation is normal in plated bullets.

to be honest, the overwhelming majority of us just load the stuff up rather blindly without checking this stuff because we: 1) load in bulk. 2) get more than sufficient accuracy with small variations in bullet weight. 3) load for a comfortable margin in power factor.

i hope that i've answered some questions.

Weighing loaded rounds is a waste of time as cases vary in weight much more than bullets.

A 1.8 gr variance in bullet weight is too much for me. I'm looking for .2 or less.

If your shooting USPSA, Steel or IDPA you'll be fine. As long as it goes bang and doesn't keyhole, you're good.

Weighing loaded rounds is a waste of time as cases vary in weight much more than bullets.

A 1.8 gr variance in bullet weight is too much for me. I'm looking for .2 or less.

If your shooting USPSA, Steel or IDPA you'll be fine. As long as it goes bang and doesn't keyhole, you're good.

I have noticed a difference in the case weight that is why I started weighing the bullets.

At your stated .2 variance for my condition starting at 123.8 to 124.2 I have 67 bullets that fit that criteria. That means only 39% work. Is that acceptable from the bullet manufacturers?

I have just started shooting USPSA. (4 qualified matches under belt)

i think the question here is what are you trying to achieve? are you going for the most consistent loads in the pursuit of the maximum accuracy your gun/load can produce? and if so is this an intellectual exercise, just for fun, or for a perceived notion that everyone does this? the first two are realistic pursuits, the third is delusional. :D

if you're just loading up stuff for general use then you're wasting your time. there is enough variation with bullets that all weigh exactly the same that would mask any significant change you could see with separating them based on the weight differences you're seeing.

all else being perfect, heavier bullets will move slower with the same powder charge as light bullets. it might be a point of two of power factor, but as mentioned when you take normal variation into account and the slight difference in weight in your bullets, you might not see any real difference in actual power factor.

your numbers are probably well within the normal range of weight differences that you see in cast bullets. i'm not sure what type of variation is normal in plated bullets.

to be honest, the overwhelming majority of us just load the stuff up rather blindly without checking this stuff because we: 1) load in bulk. 2) get more than sufficient accuracy with small variations in bullet weight. 3) load for a comfortable margin in power factor.

As a newbie I just wanted to check some things out to make sure I was doing the right thing.

I bought my Dillon to produce large quantities in a short period of time. After this initial learning curve I just want to make ammunition that is reliable.

The XTreme bullets I am using are plated.

As a newbie I just wanted to check some things out to make sure I was doing the right thing.

I bought my Dillon to produce large quantities in a short period of time. After this initial learning curve I just want to make ammunition that is reliable.

I have noticed a difference in the case weight that is why I started weighing the bullets.

At your stated .2 variance for my condition starting at 123.8 to 124.2 I have 67 bullets that fit that criteria. That means only 39% work. Is that acceptable from the bullet manufacturers?

Since you are shooting USPSA, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards then you are good to go.

I weighed a box of Sierra 115 grainers and they were all 114.9 to 115.0. The new Zero 115 weighs 114.9 to 115.1. This is a must for shooting 1" groups at 50 yards.

I would suggest that you continue to use the bullet that you are currently using until you can out shoot the load and gun. When you are first starting out you would be best served to work on draws, reloads and shooting on the move.

The rule of thumb is that the more expensive the bullet the more consistant they will be.

Load for quantity with a little less emphasis on quality and shoot. Shoot a bunch.

Since you are shooting USPSA, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards then you are good to go.

I weighed a box of Sierra 115 grainers and they were all 114.9 to 115.0. The new Zero 115 weighs 114.9 to 115.1. This is a must for shooting 1" groups at 50 yards.

I would suggest that you continue to use the bullet that you are currently using until you can out shoot the load and gun. When you are first starting out you would be best served to work on draws, reloads and shooting on the move.

The rule of thumb is that the more expensive the bullet the more consistant they will be.

Load for quantity with a little less emphasis on quality and shoot. Shoot a bunch.

Thanks for the help.

Here is a vid of me last week.

The second video was better than the first.

All I can say is sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through and call the shot. Practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for the help.

Here is a vid of me last week.