Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Had an interesting time with the kids today

Canuck223

So today I took my kids out for thier third practice session.

The plan was to put about 50 round each through the .22lr, then a few through thier new STI Spartan.

That plan fell apart when the follower in the .22lr's mag puked.

So left with the 9mm, I said what the heck.

I got the boys to break out of the previous pattern of single shots followed by resting on the bench.

Instead, I loaded 5 rounds and asked them to concentrate on getting the front sight back into the black before releasing the trigger.

I was surprised to find thier accuracy was still good, and it had another benefit. They stayed square to the target, hips / feet / and shoulders, weight just a bit forward. They kept a consistant grip. They stopped having periodic FTF's due to absorbing too much recoil.

Front sight, trigger press, repeat.

We'll see how it works next time.

We had a 9yr old girl shoot with us Saturday at our regular uspsa match. This wasn't her first match, though. Anyway, she gave us all lessons on one shot, one hit on all the steel in the match(even her very proud dad)!!!! I would shoot with her any day over some other shooters. She wasn't fast but she was accurate & had a big old grin after every stage. She handled her glock 34 just fine, I didn't see even one FTF or jam of any kind. The gun is always pointed in the right direction, no slop or wandering close to the 180. By the way, she came in 14th out of 18 beating out 4 adults. Kids can play the game if they are taught right. Wish I could have done this with my Dad.

MLM

• 2 weeks later...

We had a 9yr old girl shoot with us Saturday at our regular uspsa match. This wasn't her first match, though. Anyway, she gave us all lessons on one shot, one hit on all the steel in the match(even her very proud dad)!!!! I would shoot with her any day over some other shooters. She wasn't fast but she was accurate & had a big old grin after every stage. She handled her glock 34 just fine, I didn't see even one FTF or jam of any kind. The gun is always pointed in the right direction, no slop or wandering close to the 180. By the way, she came in 14th out of 18 beating out 4 adults. Kids can play the game if they are taught right. Wish I could have done this with my Dad.

MLM

Hi Mark. I survived area 4. I shot stage 1 cleaner then anyone I believe. 31 A's one C. Im ready to work on being faster now