Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match suggestions

Alan Adamson

We have access to a silhouette range that can support pretty much anything from 200yrs to approx 600yrds. While there are railroad track section at the 100 yard increments, there are flat areas between the railroad track lines such that we can do non-100 yardages.

I'm looking for a match method that can be fun and challenging, that doesn't require *surprise* targets, we aren't setup for that.

I'd like to support either a flight or relay approach to the match such that you can shoot a group of shooters, all at the same time, through the match targets, in appox. 15 mins or thereabouts.

The range isn't easily accessible for paper targets to be scored or reset, so if possible, we'd like to use steel... Most likely some type of self resetting steel... (we wish we could afford Larue targets, but not for now).

Wonder if anyone else has thought through this approach and has any ideas... Ideally, I think we'd break out divisions by action/caliber - example... .223/auto, .223/bolt, same for .308, etc. Depending on interest, we could also breakout by sight optics vs. irons.

Anyway, just looking for some ideas and thoughts?

I'd really rather not have to time each individual shooter (means you'd have to shoot one at a time), but more to utilize a par time approach to a single, multi target COF...

Thanks in advance, and let me know your thoughts... Maybe some have tried this and it just won't work... or maybe it's been discussed before... if so, please point me to the info?

Thanks,

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Here is a match we came up with.

http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6763

In a nutshell, Virginia Count Steel Prairie Dogs. 4-5 guys in a squad all shooting at the same target, one guy at a time. After you shoot, you set up for the next target. The RO comes back to you and it starts over again. After you shoot 10 targets, another 4-5 guys lay down and do it. After everyone has shot, you start over. Do that four times. 40 shots. Doesent break the bank or burn up the barrel.

Here is a match we came up with.

http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6763

In a nutshell, Virginia Count Steel Prairie Dogs. 4-5 guys in a squad all shooting at the same target, one guy at a time. After you shoot, you set up for the next target. The RO comes back to you and it starts over again. After you shoot 10 targets, another 4-5 guys lay down and do it. After everyone has shot, you start over. Do that four times. 40 shots. Doesent break the bank or burn up the barrel.

Tom, this looks like it could work.

Couple quick questions

a) so you use a timer I assume that is set for 15 seconds par time and you start and stop it for each shooter?

B) where did you get your dog targets?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Yup. Set the part time at 15. After a while you will get a feel for when someone is getting close to 10 seconds then I just glance at the timer.

No penalty for misses so it is new shooter friendly. If you shoot late or dont shoot, it is a 10 point penalty. Kinda makes people want to shoot fast without turning it into a 3-gun match.

A guy in the club made them for us. 1/2 inch AR-500. We are making a new design right now that does not have any exposed bolts to shoot off.

Yup. Set the part time at 15. After a while you will get a feel for when someone is getting close to 10 seconds then I just glance at the timer.

No penalty for misses so it is new shooter friendly. If you shoot late or dont shoot, it is a 10 point penalty. Kinda makes people want to shoot fast without turning it into a 3-gun match.

A guy in the club made them for us. 1/2 inch AR-500. We are making a new design right now that does not have any exposed bolts to shoot off.

Thanks again Tom, we might try this approach just to see what interest we get... Looks similar to what I was after and with reactive steel, it should be low range maint...

Alan