Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Team events?

No.343

Have there ever been any team events in USPSA history? I think it would be cool to have clubs or areas come up with teams and compete against each other at bigger matches. I saw a team side match at the FN match last year and that look like a blast. Seems like team competition with a shooter in each division would be very interesting.

Have there ever been any team events in USPSA history? I think it would be cool to have clubs or areas come up with teams and compete against each other at bigger matches. I saw a team side match at the FN match last year and that look like a blast. Seems like team competition with a shooter in each division would be very interesting.

Yes ... but rarely. Many years ago Area 1 made a trophy only award for "Parent/Child Teams."

Effective with the 2008 rule book, the provision for "teams" in the USPSA Rule Book was removed. Even when it existed, it technically required all team members to be shooting in the same division.

IPSC Rules still use teams and the concept is very popular at international matches. There too, team members must all be shooting in the same division.

That's a little surprising. I would think that with so many groups of guys wearing the same colors they would want some bragging rights. I get facebook updates about team S&W winning this or that, but never hear about any other teams.

Some IDPA matches around here played with the team concept for a bragging rights award a few years ago, haven't heard about it lately. It was 4 person teams, each different divisions and different classes. Ie: SSP Master, ESP expert, SSR sharpshooter, and ESR marksman. Add up the total time for team score. If I were doing the the same for USPSA, I'd make it 3 person teams, Open, Limited, and Production with some kind of class point system with a max. Add up the total match points. The problem with opening it to any mix of divisions is match points are easier to come by in the less populous divisions.