Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver reload question

smith52

I recently started shooting revolver in USPSA. I have been practicing my reloads but not real sure how I'm doing time wise. What is a good reload time wise?

I read the "Revolver Specific Skills" post and found lots of helpful info.

Thanks in advance

Bob

1 second is fantastic 3 seconds is OK. These times are shot to shot with a reload in between.

The 3 keys for reloads to go faster are practice, practice, practice.

USPSA scoring is (points-penalties) / time = score

So first get no penalties.

Then you could double your score by doubling your points or

you could halve your time to double your score.

If you look at a stage it's draw, shoot, shoot,....shoot, reload, shoot.....finish

I left off acquire target in sights, recoil control and movement and probably a lot more.

My point being you can probably improve your score most by lowering the shot to shot time cause there are many more of them.

12 round stage has at least 10 shot to shot times and only one draw and reload. A 0.5 second shot to shot improvement is 5 seconds on the stage.

Now realize I am a C shooter so you might want to take advice from a better shooter than I but that's my take.

Comments are welcome.

Edited by GMM50

We have just had a discussion this weekend at a match here locally. One shooter was stating that his reloads were in the 3 and above time frame. We videoed his reloads and studied them. The Reloading part was smooth but the time was in the aquiring the new sight picture and taking the shot. When practicing the reload do not focus on entirely the time of the reload. You ned to break it down to see where improvements can be made. After the feedback I believe the shooter will be able to make the required adjustments to be a better shooter. As No. 343 was there mentoring I would like his take on the situation also...Later rdd

Bubber,

No. 343 was at the local match last night, so I got some additional mentoring. It's greatly appreciated! We also had 4 revo shooters on our squad! Anyway, after fondling your open gun and my utterly dismal performance last night, I have determined that my accuracy/trigger control problem is mostly my grip. I just can't get my weak hand to do as much as it should, so I have a new set of big butt grips enroute as I type. I'm going to modify them as needed to get a stable solid grip with both hands, maybe even some strategically placed skateboard tape. Look for some improvement at A4. My sight acquisition is just something I have to work on. Also I'm actually making some progress shooting both eyes open. Not near there yet, but it's coming along. This problem has been an epic battle and I'm finally gaining some ground.

To the O/P, I think if you are smooth in your reloads the speed will come with practice. Smooth is fast. I've went from totally laughable to a somewhat regular 3 seconds in dryfire practice in about a week. I can beat 3 seconds once in awhile. Start practicing slowly while "building memory" of the movements. You will see things along the way to eliminate. Do this over and over and when you "get smooth" step it up a little bit. If you aren't smooth kick it back down until you are and keep going. Don't go crazy and do 2 hours a night. 10 or 15 minutes of good practice is far better that 2 hours of crappy practice. When I start getting sloppy, I quit for the day. I set my timer on a delayed start with a 3 second par time. If you can reload and be back on target with a good sight picture you're getting there.

Shooting a revo is far more difficult than a auto. Maintaining a consistent grip is the bigger part of it, at least for me. I'm constantly "not getting back" to a high solid grip after a reload and having to shift my grip when transitioning back to target costing me time or misses and most times both. If you can get to a 2 second reload you are going to be competitive, and you will get there with a bit of practice. All the rest of the process is far more important than reload speed in and of itself. Get your hits, the speed will come. It's just real easy to be impatient waiting on it. I know this first hand.

Edited by Shadowrider

Thanks for the advice. I've just been tring to gauge where I'm at. In practice I have been able to do smooth consistant reload at 2.6 seconds, shot to shot. I just wasn't sure if that was on par or not. Thanks again, reading post here has been a great help in my transition to revolver.

Edited by smith52

Two seconds in competition is the goal, I don't have actual numbers but I would bet that it's the average of my best match ever, reload-wise. 1.5 in practice is achievable, 1.3 is possible, still working on getting beyond that from the belt. From a table (moonclip resting just below gun) 1.0x can be done in dryfire but I haven't managed to get below 1.2 in live fire.

Matt

I don't think reloading is just one thing. The hardest part of a reload is opening the cylinder. I sometimes just do that. I mean I hit the release, open the cylinder, close it, rinse and repeat several times. I would find the hardest part and work at it a little more than the rest.