Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Colt Short Loads

FL Wheeler

Hi All:

I took a few years off from shooting but now I am getting back into it. I forgot how much fun it was.

Can some one point me to threads with load info for Colt Short.

I use Starline Nickel plated brass and I think I will go with Billy Bullets 160.

I have 12 lbs of Ramshot Silhouette that I hope I can use.

Presently I load 4.5 and LOA of 1.15.

My shots don't seem consistent so I am sure it is the load and not my skill.

I have not kept up with what is the best way to go now so advice is accepted.

I do not want to shoot straight lead but I also don't want to get a second job just to buy bullets and powder.

I only shoot ICORE and steel so I only need 120 PF

Thanks

Bob

Edited by FL Wheeler

i still haven't figured mine out.. last i loaded was 2. something of clays with the 160. I loaded them long.. they all had a buldge in the case, i have to rung them through a factory crimp die to get them to chamber... im kinda of at a loss and thinking of going to specials or long colts.

I have a seating/crimping die in my third stage on my 550 and I use a sizing die in the last stage so it gets rid of the bulge and they all drop in great. I load up my Hearthco clips and drop them in an 8 shot sizing cylinder. If they don't drop in perfect the first time, I just give them a little tap, remove and drop back in for a good fit.

I have a seating/crimping die in my third stage on my 550 and I use a sizing die in the last stage so it gets rid of the bulge and they all drop in great.

That will help them drop in the cylinder but you're sizing down the bullet in the process and that will play hell with accuracy.

Bob, try a faster powder. I've never used ramshot silhouette, but it may not burn consistently at low pressure. I get red dot and clays from my club for cost, and only need 3.2 for 130pf with a 158grn. Titegroup and w231 have worked for me, too.

The Billy Bullets, btw, are fantastic! The 160 has the crimp groove in a bad spot though, didn't pursue that design but it shot 1" @25m in .38 special cases! The 135 was a little worse, in .38 short colt cases, a little worse yet. The 170 should be better. Good luck!