Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reversing Magazine Release Button

Aggieddad02

I have read and continue to read about shooters with small hands and how they adapt for mag drops. Being one of these I have adopted using my weak hand thumb for mag drops and continue to work/refine that procedure. This past week I shot a classifier and there was a woman in our squad that was dropping her mags using her strong hand and when I talked to her about it (she was also shooting an M&P) she said her brother had reversed her mag release button. The process of moving is relatively easy so today while cleaning the pistol I reversed mine and worked with it for a while. Started off pretty smooth but the longer I worked at this the more the tip of my trigger finger began to hurt. I guess my question to fellow M&P mshooters who may be using this technique or tried this technique, have you found any cons to it? Any of you using the weak hand thumb for mag drops with any success? Thanks for the time and if there is already a link I apologize for posting the topic again. Just let me know where to find it and I will be off to read.

My son use a reversed mag release button and occasionally (one or three times per match) hits the mag release with his trigger finger during recoil. I keep trying to convince him to swap it back but it works for him. The only positive is that he is very quick at different malfunction drills, now.

I started using my trigger finger to release the mag when I bought my H&K P2000SK. And yes, your finger will get sore until it toughens up. That's natural.

When I bought my M&P Pro9 I immediately switched it. I do not like having to alter my grip in order to use my right thumb.

No matter which side you have it on, with enough practice, you'll get good.

After talking with some of the guys I shot the match with last week and locating some Youtube video I have been working on flipping the gun in my hand to allow my thumb to hit the mag release button. I have been working on drills off and on for the last 2 hours and believe I am on my way to mastering this technique. This makes it simpler if I ever move to a different gun that doesn't offer the option of moving the mag release button. I appreciate all of your replies and that is why I am a member here on BE. Thanks all that replied.