Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel 9mm Minor Load

40S&W

At present I'm using Berry 115 gr. HBRN with 4.1 gr. Titegroup, Federal #100 primers, 1.142 OAL. Getting avg. 1128 FPS & avg. 129.74 PF. Getting about a 2" muzzle rise.

Is there any advantage going to a Berry 124 gr. RN and still trying to stay within a 125-130 PF using Titegroup powder & Federal #100 primers? Or is there other suggestions for a soft load using the Berry 124 gr. RN or Berry 124 gr. HBRN? Looking to decrease muzzle rise. Recoil is fine with the present load. Grip is OK and I don't want to change any gun parts.

I'm running a STI bottom, custom top end with a very light slide and bushing barrel with a two hole aluminum comp, recoil spring is 8 lb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I shoot an Extreme (plated) 124 and 3.6 of Titegroup. Very soft and runs my gun fine. Commander length open gun with 2 port comp and 7lb recoil spring.

I don't think a heavier bullet will help, I'd shoot 115's if I had them.

Don't worry about the power factor, just make sure your gun shoot the way you like and its reliable.

At present I'm using Berry 115 gr. HBRN with 4.1 gr. Titegroup, Federal #100 primers, 1.142 OAL. Getting avg. 1128 FPS & avg. 129.74 PF. Getting about a 2" muzzle rise.

Is there any advantage going to a Berry 124 gr. RN and still trying to stay within a 125-130 PF using Titegroup powder & Federal #100 primers? Or is there other suggestions for a soft load using the Berry 124 gr. RN or Berry 124 gr. HBRN? Looking to decrease muzzle rise. Recoil is fine with the present load. Grip is OK and I don't want to change any gun parts.

I'm running a STI bottom, custom top end with a very light slide and bushing barrel with a two hole aluminum comp, recoil spring is 8 lb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Why do you want to run 125-130 PF?

No particular reason. Just thought it would be a good starting point. I want to run the lowest power factor & still operate the gun reliably. Thought the 124 gr bullet might be better than the 115 gr.

You can run the PF lower and get less rise with just changing the recoil spring to keep it functioning. If it's for Steel, you need whatever will make you faster between targets. Hundredths of a second count in SC so if you are serious about it, I would look at some lighter springs and lower PF - just be mindful of the dwell timing and making sure the slide returns to full battery each time. My Steel load runs about 105 and there is almost no muzzle rise.

Edited by gng4life

The smart guys with the STI steel master guns are running 5.6 gr of AutoComp with 115gr bullets and 5.2gr with 124gr. In expiermenting in 9 minor for my CZ Shadow I found that TiteGroup beyond just being dirty and hot burning produces more recoil than N320, WST, or Clays, at the same PF and then I tried some IMR7625, yeah I know going the wrong way but darn they sure shoot nice a big suprise and I did it just to humor Pro2am.

You have heard that old saying, Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a differt result, is well you know not too bright. What I'm suggesting is something different, a fast powder isn't working for you, maybe try something slower, if its better ok, if on the other hand it goes the other way then you have confirmed that isn't the right thing to do.

I don't run minor ammo in my open gun, I really don't think recoil or flip are a factor as by the time I get to the next steel the gun is always back down, it could be a factor if you miss a lot and have to take a quick second shot.. The closest I get to minor is taking the same 124gr load 7.6gr of Silhouette SPM (9 major) and just filling the bullet feeder with 115gr bullets, this probably makes about 160 pf. The comp still works as it gets the same amount of gas.