Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some questions about ICORE

shooterx10

In the ICORE rulebook, it states that:

SECTION 5 EQUIPMENT

1. All firearms used in ICORE matches must be revolvers with a .32 magnum caliber or greater and in sufficiently safe condition. All firearms are subject to inspection and approval by the Match Director or Range Officers.

If that is the case, how come the shooter in this pic is using a semi-auto?

http://www.cbshooters.com/gallery/ICORE_02...ges/image48.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, is a six-shot revolver good enough to compete or should a shooter use a 7- or 8-shot revolver?

Any input about this is greatly appreciated.

From the club's web site that contains the picture in question...

Many semi auto shooters also shoot at our ICORE matches, as the courses of fire are challenging and very good practice. Semi auto shooters are scored seperately, but are welcome at our ICORE matches.

Also, is a six-shot revolver good enough to compete or should a shooter use a 7- or 8-shot revolver?

Any input about this is greatly appreciated.

Do you have a club nearby and do you have a six shot? If so, go shoot it and try it.

6 vs 7 vs 8 depends on how the stages are set up. Everything is set up 6 shot Neutral in ICORE, but not always 6 shot friendly. 6 shots on steel would be Neutral, but not Friendly; because steel can be missed and made up with a 7 or 8 shot, but a six shot is into a reload for a makeup. Shooting 6 shot arrays on paper would be Friendly because you shouldn't miss paper and need a makup shot. Dropping the steel back to arrays of 5 would bring it a little closer to 6 shot Friendly.

I shoot an 8 shot, I would probably do just as well with a 7 shot.

Course design dictates many things, but your skill is what matters. I finished the Central States ICORE Championship last year (Wheelgunners Revenge 5) and found that my bag of expended seven-shot moon clips all had one live round left in them. Seven stages, a bunch of shooting, and I hadn't taken an extra shot. Now I may have taken some earlier, and reloaded the moon clips, but those left at the end of the match had one each. The stages were all six-shot friendly, but I was hot and didn't miss or need extras.

We'll see what this year brings, what with the nada practice I've managed to get.