Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

K9 mag report

Nealio

Just wanted to mention a few things after a few thousand rounds in my K9 Mags:

1. The stock spring worked great with the Henning H-141 extension for the first few thousand rounds. However lately the last round has been jamming and the slide hasn't been locking back. I changed to the Grams 11 coil spring which fixes the feeding issue, but they don't fit the follower very good. I'm surprised the stock springs even worked with the big extension.

2. After switching to the Grams spring, the follower started hanging again. I don't know what its catching on this time, but it could be due to how I fit the Grams spring to the follower. I'll figure it out and report back.

Other than that, they still feed awesome and I haven't even been cleaning them.

Edited by Nealio

thanks Nealio.

one of the first things i thought about in your previous post about this,was that it would be a great idea or possibly even necessary to install a wolff extra strength spring but i don't think wolff has these for the mec-gars yet. do you know if a spring from an older witness mag will work on the new mec-gar? if so,the wolff extra strength they have now may work. the CZ75s can be had at +10% or +15% instead of just +5%.

Yeah I think any spring that fits in that tube will work. Most of the springs I've seen don't have that special loop at the top for the MecGar followers though. I guess I could possibly switch to the Tanfoglio followers...

It's all about reliability to me. I thick the new Mec-Gar follower is the best we have to work with. Using the H500 shorter extension and keeping the new factory spring i can get two extra rds in a K40. I'll try to get the other H500's installed on some K9's and k38's i have and see if they work the same way.

Wolff and Gram should make + series springs to fit the new mags and follower. Wolff i assume is still making red follower spring parts or trying to get rid of discontiued pieces. I think the OAL and follower fitment of the current springs we have to choose from is holding back the hi-capasity increases. I'd go H141's but i'm not willing to give up my 100% reliabilty that i have now. We waited a long time for the new mags to come out, new after market

parts can't be far behind!

david

Edited by david s

• 2 months later...

Last Thursday, I tried the K9 + stock follower and spring + H141 combo. Loading 22 into the mag caused the follower to get stuck at the bottom of the mag (and made what should have been a 20 second stage become a 25 second stage). Maybe I need the H141O basepad to keep the follower from getting stuck.

Last Thursday, I tried the K9 + stock follower and spring + H141 combo. Loading 22 into the mag caused the follower to get stuck at the bottom of the mag (and made what should have been a 20 second stage become a 25 second stage). Maybe I need the H141O basepad to keep the follower from getting stuck.

Read my other threads I posted on this. You cannot run the stock follower without slightly modifying it. It gets caught on a notch on the front of the magazine. The H-141 basepads work fine if you fix the follower. I've been running the stock follower (with longer springs) in a couple of my mags all summer with 0 issues. You can only run the stock spring for a short time until the last round or two will having issues feeding. It really needs a longer spring.

Here is the thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130633&st=0&p=1472065