Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Tooless vs Tungsten Guide rod

RippSpeed

This is on my STI Edge:

I switched from a Tungsten guide rod with an unknown spring ... To a Dawson Tooless guide rod w/ a 13lbs Wolff spring. What I noticed is the pistol flips alot more but my grouping @ 10, 15, and 20yrds are alot better... I'm going to switch to a 12lb spring tomorrow and re-check... I liked how nose heavy the pistol was with the tungsten but after 200rds of reloads my strong hand was actually tired of holding the pistol.

I like how my grouping was better with the Dawson tooless and the 13lb spring. But dont like how it slowed me down because I lose the front sight...

Whats your guys advice ???

What is the caliber of the Edge and the loads? Factory, handloads, etc. If its a .40 the gun will buck a little with factory loads most of which in 180 grain are near 180 pf. The Edge is a heavy gun to begin with and is even heavier with the tungsten rod. Now that you have a standard type rod in the gun its a little lighter thus the more pronounced flip. A few ounces of weight in the gun lighter/heavier shouldnt effect mechanical accuracy. With the heavier rod in there you'll have a little easier time watching the sights cause the gun is more stable, but it must be a little sluggish on transitions. I would suggest sticking with the Dawson rod and going with the 12lb spring. I'm partial to the Wolff 12lb variable, though a lot of others like the ISMI 12.5 lb. Thats the combo most people use with the Edge in .40. Type of load you're shooting has a big impact on muzzle flip too.

What is the caliber of the Edge and the loads? Factory, handloads, etc. If its a .40 the gun will buck a little with factory loads most of which in 180 grain are near 180 pf. The Edge is a heavy gun to begin with and is even heavier with the tungsten rod. Now that you have a standard type rod in the gun its a little lighter thus the more pronounced flip. A few ounces of weight in the gun lighter/heavier shouldnt effect mechanical accuracy. With the heavier rod in there you'll have a little easier time watching the sights cause the gun is more stable, but it must be a little sluggish on transitions. I would suggest sticking with the Dawson rod and going with the 12lb spring. I'm partial to the Wolff 12lb variable, though a lot of others like the ISMI 12.5 lb. Thats the combo most people use with the Edge in .40. Type of load you're shooting has a big impact on muzzle flip too.

I apologize its a 40sw edge. I was shooting Remington 180gr UMC and Fiocchis 170gr ... I'll be doing my own loads as soon as I get the Montana Gold Bullets I purchase... My rounds are Montana Gold 180gr fmj, with WST powder and Winchester primers loaded on a Dillon Square Deal...

Another question ... is there a Tungsten recoil plug that will work with the dawson tooless guide rod ???

Edited by RippSpeed

I apologize its a 40sw edge. I was shooting Remington 180gr UMC and Fiocchis 170gr ... I'll be doing my own loads as soon as I get the Montana Gold Bullets I purchase... My rounds are Montana Gold 180gr fmj, with WST powder and Winchester primers loaded on a Dillon Square Deal...

Another question ... is there a Tungsten recoil plug that will work with the dawson tooless guide rod ???

I would try heavier bullets (200 grain) before adding more weight. dont know of anyone using tungsten guide rod plugs.

check out this article from Brazos Custom regarding light/vs heavy guns. tungsten guide rod plugs are not recommended

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/light_vs_heavy.htm

forgot to mention, there's tons of info on this forum regarding loading .40 major. dont use WST myself so I cant help with load data. your Edge may not run 100% on short (1.125-1.135 oal) length ammo, you may have to load long (1.180-1.200) for complete reliability. Had an Edge that would eat anything and everything from old Hydrashok duty HPs to Blazer rounds with no problem, but wouldnt accept 1.20 length handloads. New custom STI limited gun will get occasional FTFs with factory length and 1.180 handloads, but runs very smoothly with handloads at 1.20 oal, go figure :blink:

tungsten recoil plug=reciprocating mass

it will absorb some recoil but will slow down slide speed.

if you want to slow slide speed to get less flip use a steel gr and a heavier recoil spring maybe 15-16lb. however you will have more dip. ie. no free lunch

my edge .40 has a steel gr with 12lb recoil spring, 17lb mainspring. i was going to try a tungsten gr but the gun is already 39+/- oz. so i see it as a point of diminishing return.