Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple PE penalties for not moving

sirveyr

The situation:

There is no available cover on a stage with only one position, the start position. A competitor is required to engage targets while retreating. The WSB states that all shots must be fired while moving. A competitor may stop to reload, but must begin moving again before firing.

What occurred:

The competitor fires a few shots while stationary (earns PE for not moving), begins retreating and continues firing until their firearm is empty. The competitor stops, reloads, fires a few rounds while stationary (earns PE for not moving), begins moving, and continues firing until they have completed the stage.

How the SO ruled:

Two (2) PE for not moving, once before the reload and once after the reload.

What is your ruling?

I think this is incorrect.

What rule supports your ruling?

The addendum states that a competitor may only earn multiple PE's for cover violations and reloading violations at each firing position designated in the WSB. Nowhere does it state that not following the WSB will incur multiple PE penalties. Also, there was only one position in the WSB.

Note: This has been posted at the IDPA forum, too. I though it would get more traffic over here.

While I am not one to pencil whip anyone. If you were shooting on the move and stop to reload and shoot on the move again they are different positions. How about if you are standing at a barrel and it's 6 weak reload 6 strong and all were taken free style but never moved an inch. Give them just 1 PE?

Sirveyr -

The rule book (page 15) says only one PE per string of fire for this type of violation, regardless of the number of shots fired. Page 16, example D is exactly what you are asking about. Same page, example M states you can get a PE for not following the course of fire as written. In this case, they are the same PE. I would only give the shooter ONE total in your above scenario.

I also think it is unfair to give more than one PE for not moving because there is no official range command to notify the shooter they are in violation....

FWIW, I'm NOT a SO.

-Randy

I also think it is unfair to give more than one PE for not moving because there is no official range command to notify the shooter they are in violation....

FWIW, I'm NOT a SO.

-Randy

Randy,

I would agree that only one PE should be given, as far as I know it is one PE per infraction type per string max except cover which was in the addendum last fall.

EDIT: You can also recieve multiple PE's for reload violations but this was a moving PE I take it and not a reload PE.

Also there is no requirement for a command while committing a PE, a call for cover or moving etc is a courtesy but not a requirement.

Greg

Edited by GSWEAR