Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seating Plug for Zero 125 gr JHP Bullets

RobfromME

Good afternoon,

What Redding seating plug do you recommend for seating the Zero 125 grain JHP bullet in 38/357? I currently use an RCBS seating die, but it damages the exposed lead. A search of this forum revealed that Redding avoids this problem with their die. However, I also see that they have several different seating plugs.

Which one do you folks suggest using?

Warmest regards,

Rob

Each brand of dies can have their own variations on bullet seaters, the best one is the one that fits. Its very common to have a bullet seater that isn't just right, particularly when you get away from wadcutters or semi wadcutters, but generally a round nose seating plug will probably do the best job, short of having a seating plug custom made for that bullet.

Some people say to use wax to make the seating plug fit better, but IMHO that won't last very long before it crumbles. I've never tried it but someone could probably use JB Weld to customize a seating plug, but you could ruin the die, so I wouldn't do that personally.

I started a rather lengthy reply, suggesting you use epoxy to fit the seating stem to your exact bullet, but it got way too long for what I was trying to say, so I deleted it. I have work induced AD/HD and get bored easily, especially when talking about fascinating subjects like glue. Anyway, bullet casters do things like this all the time with top punches for sizers.

Thanks so much for the info so far, everyone.

Based on a search here, others who ran into this had been suggested a Redding seat die as the ideal solution so I was trying to find out, specifically, which plug they found to have worked. Does the Redding come with more than one seating plug like RCBS does?

Once again, all good information and I appreciate it, but I was hoping to get the Redding, correctly plugged, and run with it.

Thanks to all so far.

(By the way 1SOW, I see your AC-130 image...were you pilot/crew or ground crew on them? Incredible aircraft/weapons system!)

Warmest regards,

Rob

Edited by RobfromME