Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not getting consistent readings with weigand extractor gauges

GregJ

I just got my Weigand extractor adjustment tool and gauges from Midway. I planned on using them along with my Lymann digital trigger pull gauge to dial in my Kimber 1911 extractor tension. I liked the idea of having some real number to work from. However the problem I'm having is varying numbers. I put a small loop of wire in the end of the 45 gauge as the Lyman gauge has a roller for measuring trigger pull. Using this setup, I get anywhere from 11oz to 24oz. :blink: I have the slide sitting on the bench with the front part of the slide hanging over the edge of the bench, and trying to be consistent in my pulls straight down. The gauge is lined up correctly, per instructions. I have polished my extractor, not sure if that will make a difference. I've made sure the breechface does not have any oily residue on it. Suggestions welcome.....

Edit: I checked again, and the readings are consistent 11-14oz. Could the extractor not be taking the adjustment and relaxing back? It should be a stock Kimber extractor.

Edited by GregJ

I just got my Weigand extractor adjustment tool and gauges from Midway. I planned on using them along with my Lymann digital trigger pull gauge to dial in my Kimber 1911 extractor tension. I liked the idea of having some real number to work from. However the problem I'm having is varying numbers. I put a small loop of wire in the end of the 45 gauge as the Lyman gauge has a roller for measuring trigger pull. Using this setup, I get anywhere from 11oz to 24oz. :blink: I have the slide sitting on the bench with the front part of the slide hanging over the edge of the bench, and trying to be consistent in my pulls straight down. The gauge is lined up correctly, per instructions. I have polished my extractor, not sure if that will make a difference. I've made sure the breechface does not have any oily residue on it. Suggestions welcome.....

Edit: I checked again, and the readings are consistent 11-14oz. Could the extractor not be taking the adjustment and relaxing back? It should be a stock Kimber extractor.

The first thing I would do is take the roller off the Lyman gauge and slide the shaft through the extractor gauge and put the nut back on, this will give you a better and more honest reading.

You are over thinking it, just get your tention where you want it and then shoot 1000 rounds or more through it, it will not be the same, I could only get one season out of a regular extractor before it fails, went with a aftec been shooting the same one and springs for 4 years,I never looked back, also check your tention with different brands of brass, unless you only use one kind of brass, it will vary a little.

The first thing I would do is take the roller off the Lyman gauge and slide the shaft through the extractor gauge and put the nut back on, this will give you a better and more honest reading.

I thought about that, but instead a picked up a metric bolt that would fit, and fashioned a hook on the end of it. This way the gauge would pull straight down, rather than pulling at an angle as with the arm that comes with it.

You are over thinking it, just get your tention where you want it and then shoot 1000 rounds or more through it, it will not be the same, I could only get one season out of a regular extractor before it fails, went with a aftec been shooting the same one and springs for 4 years,I never looked back, also check your tention with different brands of brass, unless you only use one kind of brass, it will vary a little.

I have no doubt that is probably true!! It's a result of working in IT I guess, I need to try and have repeatable results, and when I cant, it makes me nutz. Thanks for the suggestion on the aftec, I'll have to consider it. :cheers:

When i started to measuring the extractor tension with the Lyman gauge some years ago i got the same trouble. Think that at start for measuring the tension i used a modified brass not the specific gauge you got with the Weigard kit.

Well in my experience the Lyman trigger pull is a very sensible gauge and you should be very soft when your measuring the tension. When i perceived this thing and i was more soft in the use of the Lyman gauge i got often, accurate measure often similar. But as soon i become hasty with the Lyman gauge the measure make me mad!

I today continue to prefere the traditional extractor, becaue if you set up you Weigard gauge for 1,653 pound your get always the same tension. IMHO.

I have no doubt that is probably true!! It's a result of working in IT I guess, I need to try and have repeatable results, and when I cant, it makes me nutz. Thanks for the suggestion on the aftec, I'll have to consider it. :cheers:

I am with you all the way on te number thing, I am a tool and die machinest, I get te same way, I findmyself counting things that does not mean a thing ???? I half to fight myself to stop and focus on something else. :cheers:

Edited by Sudden Death