Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Revolver Needs Some TLC

skdmrklcy

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 14-1 6" that I received from Aunt in-law. It is a very nice shooter, and will do sub 1" groups with ease. Someone has worked on the trigger at some point and it is very light, it works every time though.

The issue is the finish was not taken care of all that well and is mostly gone, to keep rust at bay I have to keep it covered in oil and do not like to take it out. It has seen a home done re-blue at some point as well. I was thinking of sending it off to get it refinished at S&W but was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations. I really just want it checked over and then refinished, no pitting has occurred it just had some minor surface rust when I first got it.

Is the S&W Custom shop my best bet?

Well bummer, I just got an E-Mail from S&W they actually will not work on it because it is too old. They can do a tune up and check it all out for me, for free actually, but they will not refinish it. They say it could crack the frame.

I am not sure now if I should send it off to someone else, or just keep it dripping oil and not shoot it much. Invest in a newer revolver for sporting purposes. I was going to use it at a local steel match but guess that is out.

Well bummer, I just got an E-Mail from S&W they actually will not work on it because it is too old. They can do a tune up and check it all out for me, for free actually, but they will not refinish it. They say it could crack the frame.

I am not sure now if I should send it off to someone else, or just keep it dripping oil and not shoot it much. Invest in a newer revolver for sporting purposes. I was going to use it at a local steel match but guess that is out.

Why is that out? Cold Blue good to go, It is a shooter not a collector. late rdd

Send it out for a simple "blast & blue". The refinisher will disassemble it, bead blast it (which will help camoflauge any pitting, and then blue it without any polishing. Your guns sounds like the perfect candidate for this.You could have it parked instead too.

I have a few e-mails out to see if anyone else is willing/can do it. I have used a company called CCR which does a park finish which I have been thinking about as well.

It just worries me that if they think removing the barrel can crack the frame, should I really shoot it that much.

If nothing else I forgot about cold blue that would be an option.

WE Birdsong & Associates (Black-T)

1435 Monterey Road

Florence, MS 39073

(601) 939-7448

This gentleman puts on a coating that is used by the US navy, he loves old guns and is a hoot to work with. Give Walter a call and tell him what you've got, he's a great guy to work with.

michael

1435 Monterey Road

Florence, MS 39073

(601) 939-7448

This gentleman puts on a coating that is used by the US navy, he loves old guns and is a hoot to work with. Give Walter a call and tell him what you've got, he's a great guy to work with.

michael

Yeah...uh....that's going to be an awkward phone call. Walter Birdsong died two years ago.

Dave Chicoine. He's who S&W recommends for work on older guns.

http://www.oldwestgunsmith.com/

Tom

Dave C. is the man when it comes to the truly older S&Ws--the top-break and tip-up guns and so forth. However, for refinishing an older--but still modern--S&W revolver, the factory would be a really good place to send it, or any bluing operation that does high-quality polishing and bluing work.

I'd sorta hate to see you have it bead-blasted or parkerized if the surface isn't already pitted. Leave that for the guns that are too far gone to be successfully polished and reblued.

1435 Monterey Road

Florence, MS 39073

(601) 939-7448

michael

Yeah...uh....that's going to be an awkward phone call. Walter Birdsong died two years ago.

Well now, I called the number and Walt's old message is still on the machine (kinda wierd) maybe one of his kids is still in the business. Or maybe Walt is hiding out.

michaels

Well now, I called the number and Walt's old message is still on the machine (kinda wierd) maybe one of his kids is still in the business. Or maybe Walt is hiding out.

michaels

His sons are now running the business.

michaels

His sons are now running the business.

thanks Mike, found his obit on the web, really was a cool guy, had his finish on a couple of guns and cylinders, he was great to work with.

michaels