Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 610 short chambers in cylinder

harald

Hi, I have a 610 which I use in a dicipline called fieldshooting here in Norway.

I cast my own bullets from NEI bullet moulds:

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/401-180-gc.jpg

But the chambers in the cylinder are to short to crimp the brass in the crimping groove, I must crimp in front of the crimping groove.

What tools can I use to lenghtening the chambers to fit a longer cartridge?

Can I use this tool: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=319489

or are there other tools which are more suited my problem.

Best regards,

Harald

If they load seated to one length but not another, you probably have a throat/lead issue rather than a "chamber" issue.

Before you buy anything, have you slugged the throats to see how their size compares to what you're sizing your bullets at?

If you are able to put 10mm cases in the gun and fire it it is not a short chamber issue. The bullets are hitting the throat/lead in the cylinder. Part of the problem is that you are shooting lead bullets and if you are sizing them to .401" they are bigger than jacketed bullets. Also with lead bullets the throat gets more crap deposited on them and that makes them smaller in diameter. Clean the throats really well and see if the longer round will seat on its own. Also seat a .400" jacketed bullet long and see how it chambers.

I had this same issue with lead bullets in both my 625's and my 610. I cast a 230 gr. WFNGC LBT bullet for my 610 and I have to press them into the cylinder after a few cylinders full. After I give it a good cleaning with a Lewis lead remover they drop in fine.

Neal in AZ