Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which way should I go?

Nimitz

I have an opportunity to buy a new (never fired) Benelli M2 Field w/24" VR barrel, Comfortech stock 5 chokes + hardcase from a private buyer. Or I can buy a brand new Benelli M2 Field from an on-line retailer. The price between the 2 is within $100 of eachother. I've convinced myself I want a 21" barrel gun so I'd have to cut the 24" barrel ...

So, which way would best?

Any issues with having a barrel cut down vice a factory made barrel at that length?

Do I actually want a 21" barrel (the gun is for 3-gun matches)?

Opinions greatly appreciated ...

Yeah, I checked into the same thing a few months ago. I purchased an M2 with a 28" barrel at a killer price. Even with cutting, I would have still made out pretty good but I found a buyer who wanted the 28 and I took that money, added some and got a 24". I like the 21" also but if you read the post I put up, the 24" seemed to be better for longer range steel and such (according to more of the experts). Also, I was at a match last year where the guys with the 21" were having problems with a Texas Star but the guys with the longer barrels cleaned it easier.

The 21" is probably more useful but I like the 24 so I can get more velocity for the longer targets. Plus, I like the +6 extension that comes almost even with a 24".

It's probably more about personal preference but this is what I picked up from the expert shotgunners on here so I went with the 24.

I can get the NIB gun in either 21" or 24" at the same price ... shows how little I know about this ... I didn't realize that the 5 chokes which come with the 24" barrel gun would not work once I had the barrel cut to 21' & I'd have to buy all new chokes anyway ... that is what you are saying, right?

I guess the real issue is whether I should get an 21" or 24" barrel since for 21" the NIB gun wins but for 24" the private seller is a better deal ...

I just don't have enough practical experience to know which barrel length is really "better" ... anyone care to provide specific pros & cons for 21" vs 24" lengths or is there a link to where this debate has already happened that I could read?

Also, can you provide a link to that discussion you reference? thx

Nothing specific between 21" and 24" as it truly is a matter of preference.

I have only been at the 3 gun game since 1998 and I have never been in a

situation where I wished I had a shorter barrel on any of my guns including

a 22" barrel M1A.

Many shooters have their mag tubes sticking out beyond the 21" barrel anyway so

you might as well have the barrel to match.

My new Salient was built sporting a 24" barrel and that is exactly how I wanted it.

Buy it,,,buy it,,,BUY IT and start enjoying it!

Patrick

" ... only been at the 3 gun game since 1998 ..." lol; I'm trying to remember how many hobbies I've ever had for 13 years and counting ...

totally agree, if there's no real critical reason to use 21" I don't want a gun which has the ext tube sticking past the barrel - makes no sense ... ... I think I've just passed into the "paralysis by analysis" arena ...

I think I'll make an offer to the 24" barrel private seller & see how bad hew wants to get rid of his M2 ...