Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 Glock Ejector and Extractor Tuning

mizer67

Have a 3 week old Gen 4 Glock 17 with a born on date of 04/11/11, Serial # PPRXXX.

I've put the first 600 round through the gun and had 10 Failures to Extract (FTEs). I also get a fair amount of brass to the face, in addition to forward ejections and ejections straight up at 12 o'clock.

I tried swapping out the stock recoil spring from the "2 1 0" stock spring to a LWD SS guide rod and 13 lb. ISMI recoil spring after 400 rounds and had 6 of the 10 FTEs with this setup, so I put the stock spring back in the gun as it's been less problematic. Clearly in my gun a reduced power spring made the problem worse, not better.

I've heard that tuning the ejector or extractor might fix the FTE and ejection issues I've been experiencing. Has anyone had any luck fixing their FTE issues with Gen 4s or Gen 3s with the new extractors by tuning either of the two parts in question? If so, what were the angles you cut and on what surface?

Edited by mizer67

Have a 3 week old Gen 4 Glock 17 with a born on date of 04/11/11, Serial # PPRXXX.

I've put the first 600 round through the gun and had 10 Failures to Extract (FTEs). I also get a fair amount of brass to the face, in addition to forward ejections and ejections straight up at 12 o'clock.

I tried swapping out the stock recoil spring from the "2 1 0" stock spring to a LWD SS guide rod and 13 lb. ISMI recoil spring after 400 rounds and had 6 of the 10 FTEs with this setup, so I put the stock spring back in the gun as it's been less problematic. Clearly in my gun a reduced power spring made the problem worse, not better.

I've heard that tuning the ejector or extractor might fix the FTE and ejection issues I've been experiencing. Has anyone had any luck fixing their FTE issues with Gen 4s or Gen 3s with the new extractors by tuning either of the two parts in question? If so, what were the angles you cut and on what surface?

I had the same problem after about 2000 rounds. I bought a LWD extractor to replace the factory one. Have not had a single FTE since.

I had the same problem after about 2000 rounds. I bought a LWD extractor to replace the factory one. Have not had a single FTE since.

Found one of the LWD extractors this evening (they're backordered at LWDs site). I'm going to give it a try.

I tried tuning the ejector myself, cutting it back a few hundredths as well as changing the angle slightly, and it didn't fix my issues. I put 150 rounds through this evening, and was still getting brass to the face, left and forward.

When I talked to Glock this morning, the SR said that they bend and tune ejectors sometimes to fix guns, but he wouldn't give me any specifics. He did mention that if I was a Glock armorer (I'm not) they would send me a LWD extractor for free to attempt to fix my problems. Since it's an "internal part" and I'm not an armorer, they wouldn't send me a new extractor of any kind.

Since it's cheaper to try swapping parts and I don't lose my gun for 6-8 weeks, I'm trying that before giving up and sending it in.

Edited by mizer67

Found one of the LWD extractors this evening (they're backordered at LWDs site). I'm going to give it a try.

I tried tuning the ejector myself, cutting it back a few hundredths as well as changing the angle slightly, and it didn't fix my issues. I put 150 rounds through this evening, and was still getting brass to the face, left and forward.

When I talked to Glock this morning, the SR said that they bend and tune ejectors sometimes to fix guns, but he wouldn't give me any specifics. He did mention that if I was a Glock armorer (I'm not) they would send me a LWD extractor for free to attempt to fix my problems. Since it's an "internal part" and I'm not an armorer, they wouldn't send me a new extractor of any kind.

Since it's cheaper to try swapping parts and I don't lose my gun for 6-8 weeks, I'm trying that before giving up and sending it in.

You might find Pistol Training.Com's review interesting and maybe cruise around there for some more extractor information.

I have the same problem with my Glock 17 Gen 4. It's stove piped a few times but it doesn't eject into my face. I have lowered my ejection port and put the 15 lb single spring conversion in it and what I've noticed that it only ejects about 3 feet out to the side. My factory gen 3 19 ejects about 6 feet and has never ever had any problems with any kinds of factory ammo. And I thought the extractor was attached to the trigger assembly not the slide.

Three weeks old???? 10 FTEs???

Send it back to Glock!

Or go buy an M&P....

;)

Jeff

Three weeks old???? 10 FTEs???

Send it back to Glock!

Or go buy an M&P....

;)

Jeff

I have 3 M&Ps.

Felt like crossing over to the dark side once Glock added a right side mag release (I'm a lefty).

I don't think Glock knows how to fix this issue or I would send it back. Plus I don't feel like losing my gun for 8 weeks.