Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbler bowl cracked

I bought a Hornady Tumbler back in January. It works great, but last night I noticed 2 cracks in the bowl. The cracks do not run along the seem, but across it. Both are less than one inch long and about 7 inches apart. What could have caused this? I called Hornady and they will replace it because it fell under the one year warranty. May be the mineral spirits mixed with Nu Finish,,, in the garage on a hot summer day??? Has anyone else experienced this?

Mineral spirits is funny/odd stuff, it will attack and totally destroy some plastics, but others are completely safe, and these days mineral spirits are often sold in plastic bottles. As mentioned, it does attack some kinds of plastics, so you have to be careful what you use it around, and the extent of damage can vary from slight to severe, some plastics will be instantly and visibly damaged, others the effects might not show up till later.

I get a build up of residue, media additive, powder residue etc sometimes building up in my tumbler bowl, adding some clean walnut shell will remove it over time, but of course this is just moving it from the bowl to the media, so your media is worn out faster. From time to time I use mineral spirits in my bowl to remove those deposits, and on my OLD Lyman I have seen no damage, but your bowl could be made of a completely different material, so its possible the mineral spirits could have damaged it.

Your situation could have just been a bad batch of plastic, or the mineral spirits might have damaged it, its hard to say. I use Flitz Media Additive, and I have some Dillon polish, both work well and you wouldn't have to worry about damage to the bowl.

Could be the heat, could be the chemical, could be the stress from being poorly fitted, could be the combination of any 2 or 3 of the above. There's just no way to know. However, you did the right thing by calling Hornady. Now you've protected yourself in case it happens again in another 6 months.