Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suddenly I have light strikes

bearsniper

it could've been providing resistance.

if it were me, i'd order a 13 lb hammer spring, solid FP retaining pin, and as an option, the XL firing pin and matching spring. is the firing pin bent? if it is, might as well get hte XL pin.

also important is finding the piece of hte roll pin that broke off.

weight of springs:

it really depends on your load. if you shoot USPSA or steel and have gaming loads, ususally a 10 or 11 will do. if you shoot mostly factory ammo and/or defense loads, the same weight works fine, but sometimes 13. it really depends. there's a lot of threads that talk about tuning your recoil spring so i won't cover it - pm me if you want more info. BUT, uspsa, idpa, those games where you reload for a light load, 10 or 11 work fine.

hammer - peopel use 13# with the comp hammer and have no problems. if you shoot federal only, you can take it lower. for me, i use a 13# with a couple coils cut off. not saying it'll work with your setup, but that's what i use. an XL firing pin increases reliability since it hits the primer harder - by transferring the energy of the hammer better to the primer.

SAO - what kind of shooting do you do? if you shoot for sport you have to consider any rules they have. otherwise, SAO conversion is easy. SAO trigger is $40, and you just install that by replacing the current trigger. i recommend getting their improved trigger pin if you drive out hte old one and replacing the trigger return spring. that'll be a whole 'nother thread, complete with tuning the pre/over travel screws if you do.

main question that needs to be answered (maybe i missed it in an rearlier post of yours?)... what do you do with your gun? what sport? or just range gun?

Mainly 3gun but I would like to also be able to shoot uspsa.ipsc. Don't really like and or care about IDPA. Also is removing the firing pin block ever a problem?

Just checked the packaging that came with the gun, it currently has 11lb recoil spring and 13lb mainspring. As far as reloading, I only have a single stage press and reloading 9mm never really seemed to offer a substantial savings, especially when considering the marginal cost of my time, right now I only reload .45. I guess I have been thinking about getting a progressive. Since I've already succeeded in getting this thread is already hopelessly off topic, what how much am I looking at to get a GOOD progressive setup? And is there really much to be gained from reloading 9mm? Just looking for a ballpark.

Also, now that I think about it, I don't see myself trying to be competitive in USPSA, probably will just shoot those matches for fun or practice. I guess now I may just trick my cz to shoot limited for 3guns (where I actually care about competing) and deal with USPSA if I ever feel like I could seriously compete in production. I'm guessing the SAO trigger would be legal in most 3gun or limited classes?

this really takes the thread off topic, but i've tried doing reloading the cheap way and the expensive way.

reloading comes down to two things: how much time do you want to spend in front of the press, and what is your budget.

the cheap way with a lee loadmaster was $500 all-in with all the tools liek a tumbler and such. link here

then i went with a dillon 650 - which is about 800+ with a case feed. you can go with a square deal, which is smaller but only loads pistol calibers and has no case feed for around 300 used. check the dillon links through the benos site store at hte top of this forum page, he has lots of good info there.

SAO is legal for limited but puts you at a disadvantage. the good news is you can always switch back really easily.

be careful though. i bought my first gun knowing ZERO. i just looked at it and put it in the bag. a few days later i was at the range to figure out how it works and saw a USPSA match and shot it... three years later, here i am. LOL.

Sorry to stray further off topic but I noticed squirrels said "SAO is legal for limited but puts you at a disadvantage". I'm new to the sport (shoot club level steel) and was under the impression that a SAO trigger (flat) was the way to go in limited class?

Sorry to stray further off topic but I noticed squirrels said "SAO is legal for limited but puts you at a disadvantage". I'm new to the sport (shoot club level steel) and was under the impression that a SAO trigger (flat) was the way to go in limited class?

I think what he is referring to is shooting a 9mm in Limited, which only scores minor, so disadvantage in points