Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Shadow Target

skdmrklcy

I found one of these and fell in love with it. I am just trying to figure out if it is legal at all for IDPA. I see some things say yes some say the weight is the only issue. I assumed it wouldn't fly due to the full length dust cover, I don't really care what division it would be in as long as it could play.

I have been looking for a super nice 9mm for a long time and this just fits! I may pick it up anyway, I keep talking myself into it then out of it.

This is the link to the exact one I got to play with http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/CZ_75_SP01_Shadow/

Those can be a PITA to make the required 39ozs or under with, but if you can manage to pull it off you're GTG in SSP and ESP... but, to pull that off it usually means switching the grips to the factory plastic ones and then getting a hold of (3) 10rd mags which have plastic instead of steel making up the bottom 1/4 of their tubes and which can usually be hard to score, and always pricey at around near $50 a pop, then sometimes going even further and screwing around trying to figure out which small parts you can change to lighter pieces in order to scrub a needed ounce or so more, which can get annoying... especially after all that when some IDPA-rule-nazi-tactifool then comes up to you and tells you that SP-01's and Shadows are illegal for IDPA and then you have to go over it with them...;)

For playing IDPA free of any BS nonsense, the newer short-dust-cover 75 Shadows are the way: http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowtsadablk.aspx

Having owned and shot both, they're nearly identical, personally I actually like the looks of the railed SP-01 variants better as I find their mean RoboCop-ness looks very tacticool and their extra weight up front makes them drop back on target effortlessly, but that said, I actually prefer the 75 Shadow more now after shooting it a while, it's a faster feeling/handling gun that in my hands makes for quicker transitions and really it pretty much shoots almost exactly the same. Plus, it's USPSA Production legal now too, so you can do IDPA SSP running DA/SA and ESP cocked n' locked on Saturday without having to change out any parts, and then shoot Production in USPSA on Sunday, you could even load up the 19 rounders all the way, go cocked n' locked, and be competitive shooting Limited Minor as well if you're up to it...

I seriously love the the SP-01-based Shadows, but if you have IDPA in mind the 75 Shadow is far less of a headache and will induce grins just as big.

Edited by ck1

It would meet weight though for ESP as is if I am looking at the numbers right. Or am I wrong? (It happens a lot.)

So the rail is not considered a full length dust cover? I am surprised it could be allowed at all to be honest. I will have to look at the one without the rail, that may be the ticket. I knew it existed but couldn't find one. I may just order it from that site.

The weight of SP-01 Shadow "should" meet the ESP requirement with an empty magazine; however, as a result of production variance, each firearm will weigh differently. In regard to the dust-cover, the SP-01 Shadow is considered to have a full-length dust-cover , and it is allowed in ESP, but not in SSP. If you want to shoot the SP-01 Shadow in SSP, as long as the it meets the ESP requirement and it meets the weight requirement in SSP, then it'd be legal.

As ck1 mentioned, it takes some work to get the SP-01 Shadow meet the 39oz requirement. I did it and it took a lot of work. I shot only a few IDPA matches and am now focused on just USPSA. Good luck.

It would meet weight though for ESP as is if I am looking at the numbers right. Or am I wrong? (It happens a lot.)

So the rail is not considered a full length dust cover? I am surprised it could be allowed at all to be honest. I will have to look at the one without the rail, that may be the ticket. I knew it existed but couldn't find one. I may just order it from that site.

Edited by justaute

The SP-01's have to make 39ozs or under to be used in IDPA, period. While they're lighter than the 43ozs required to be used in ESP, IDPA considers their rail a full-length-dustcover, a no-no in ESP, thus making them illegal regardless of what they weigh... BUT, any gun that can be shot in SSP can be used in ESP, regardless of having a full-length dust-cover, so, if you can get down to 39ozs you're GTG in SSP or ESP, not 39ozs or less equals illegal for IDPA.

I know, what an awesome rule, that rail, um, sorry, I mean full-length dust-cover is such an unfair advantage that it just had to be disallowed... sheesh, what's next rules keeping Sig's out (or any non-1911's) in case they start winning in CDP..?, oh wait... ;)